Nonhomogenous LODE (Method of Variation of Parameters)

In summary, Nonhomogenous LODE (Higher Order) - Method of Variation of Parameters is a method used to solve differential equations with nonhomogenous terms. The method involves finding the complementary and particular solutions, and then combining them to get the general solution. The method of variation of parameters can be used when the nonhomogenous term can be expressed as a linear combination of known functions. However, this method can be time-consuming and may require trial and error. The Factor Theorem and Long Division can be used to quickly factorize equations and make the process more efficient.
kape
Nonhomogenous LODE (Higher Order) - Method of Variation of Parameters

[tex] x^3y''' + x^2y'' - 2xy' + 2y = x^3log(x) [/tex]

[tex] y(1) = \frac{10}{32} [/tex]

[tex] y'(1) = -\frac{24}{32} [/tex]

[tex] y''(1) = -\frac{11}{16} [/tex]

I know that [tex] \inline y = y_h + y_p [/tex] and that I probably should use the method of variation of parameters, so:

----------------
[tex] y_h [/tex]

Substituting [tex] \inline m^n [/tex] for y and dividing by [tex] \inline x^m [/tex] I got:

[tex] m(m-1)(m-2) + m(m-1) - 2m + 2 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (m-1)[m^2-2m+m-2] = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (m-1)(m-2)(m+1) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] m = \pm1, 2 [/tex]

[tex] y_h = ax + bx^{-1} + cx^2 [/tex]

----------------
[tex] y_p [/tex]

So, taking [tex] \inline y_1 = x, y_2 = \frac{1}{x}, y_3 = x^2 [/tex]

[tex] W = \begin{array}{|ccc|} x & \frac{1}{x} & x^2 \\ 1 & -\frac{1}{x^2} & 2x \\ 0 & \frac{2}{x^3} & 2 \end{array} [/tex]

[tex] W = -\frac{6}{x} [/tex]

[tex] W_1 = \begin{array}{|ccc|} 0 & \frac{1}{x} & x^2 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{x^2} & 2x \\ 1 & \frac{2}{x^3} & 2 \end{array} [/tex]

[tex] W_1 = 3 [/tex]

[tex] W_2 = \begin{array}{|ccc|} x & 0 & x^2 \\ 1 & 0 & 2x \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \end{array} [/tex]

[tex] W_2 = -x^2 [/tex]

[tex] W_3 = \begin{array}{|ccc|} x & \frac{1}{x} & 0 \\ 1 & -\frac{1}{x^2} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{2}{x^3} & 1 \end{array} [/tex]

[tex] W_3 = -\frac{2}{x} [/tex]

Therefore:

[tex] y_p = x\int -\frac{x}{2} x^3 \lnx dx + \frac{1}{x}\int \frac{x^3}{6} x^3 \lnx dx + x^2\int -\frac{x^3}{3} \lnx dx [/tex]

Which, er, is...

[tex] y_p = x(-\frac{1}{10}x^5logx + \frac{1}{50}x^5) + \frac{1}{x}(\frac{1}{42}x^7logx - \frac{1}{294}x^7) + x^2(\frac{1}{12}x^4logx

- \frac{1}{48}x^4) [/tex]

Making it..

[tex] y_p = -\frac{1}{10}x^6logx + \frac{1}{50}x^6 + \frac{1}{42}x^6logx - \frac{1}{294}x^6 + \frac{1}{12}x^6logx - \frac{1}{48}x^6

[/tex]

So..

[tex] y_p = -\frac{1}{140}x^6logx - \frac{83}{19600}x^6 [/tex]

--------------------------
[tex] y = y_h + y_p [/tex]

Putting the two together..

[tex] y = ax + bx^{-1} + cx^2 - \frac{1}{140}x^6logx - \frac{83}{19600}x^6 [/tex]

[tex] y' = a - bx^{-2} + 2cx - \frac{3}{70}x^5logx + x^5 - \frac{179}{9800}x^5 [/tex]

[tex] y'' = 2bx^{-3} + 2c - \frac{3}{14}x^4logx x^4 + 5x^4 - \frac{19}{392}x^4 [/tex]

Putting in the initial values at y(1)..

[tex] A = y(1) = a + b + c - \frac{83}{19600} = \frac{10}{32} [/tex]

[tex] B = y'(1) = a - b + 2c - \frac{179}{9800} = -\frac{24}{32} [/tex]

[tex] C = y''(1) = 2b + 2c - \frac{19}{392} = -\frac{11}{16} [/tex]

And solving for a, b, c...

[tex] A = y(1) = a + b + c = \frac{388}{1225} [/tex]

[tex] B = y'(1) = a - b + 2c = -\frac{7171}{9800} [/tex]

[tex] C = y''(1) = 2b + 2c = -\frac{501}{784} [/tex]

A - B = D

[tex] 2b - c = 1\frac{387}{9800} [/tex]

C - D

[tex] 3c = -\frac{501}{784} - 1\frac{387}{9800} [/tex]

[tex] c = -\frac{7849}{58800} [/tex]

And it is starting to look quite silly.. but carrying on to find b, a and putting them into the original equation gets:

[tex] y = -\frac{109}{39200}x + \frac{53273}{117600}x^{-1} - \frac{7849}{58800}x^2 - \frac{1}{140}x^6logx - \frac{83}{19600}x^6 [/tex]

Which is frankly, quite ridiculous. And unsurprisingly, it turns out to be wrong. So.

-----------
Question 1:

What went wrong?!

-----------
Question 2:

I am having a lot of trouble finding roots (factorizing).. right now I basically do it by trial and error and for me it takes an

inordinate amount of time.. Is there a way to do this quickly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've also tried checking some of the calculations using Matlab and they seem to be correct.. I get the feeling that it's not the calculation but the method?

Also, I've managed to find info on factorizing.. I found out there was this thing called the Factor Theorem and Long Division!

What is the concept of nonhomogenous LODE?

The concept of nonhomogenous LODE (linear ordinary differential equation) is a method used to solve a differential equation where the coefficients are not constant. This means that the equation is not in its standard form, but can be rewritten as a linear combination of functions with constant coefficients.

How does the method of variation of parameters work?

The method of variation of parameters involves finding a particular solution to a nonhomogenous LODE by assuming that it is a linear combination of two fundamental solutions to the corresponding homogenous equation. These fundamental solutions are then multiplied by two functions, known as variation parameters, and substituted back into the original equation to solve for the parameters.

When should the method of variation of parameters be used?

The method of variation of parameters should be used when the coefficients in the differential equation are not constant and cannot be solved using other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also useful when the right-hand side of the equation is a function that does not fit into a specific form.

What are the limitations of using the method of variation of parameters?

The method of variation of parameters can only be used to solve nonhomogenous LODEs with constant coefficients. It also requires the fundamental solutions to the homogenous equation to be known, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the method can become complicated and time-consuming for higher order differential equations.

What are some practical applications of the method of variation of parameters?

The method of variation of parameters is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving systems that are not in equilibrium. It can also be applied in many other fields, such as economics, chemistry, and biology, to study and understand various phenomena and processes.