Thermistor Testing & Calibration: Coursework Help

In summary, a thermistor is a temperature sensor that works by changing its resistance in response to temperature changes. Testing and calibration are important for accurate readings, which can be achieved by comparing the thermistor's readings to a calibrated reference thermometer. Factors such as age, environmental conditions, and manufacturing quality can affect the accuracy of a thermistor, and it is important to choose the right type for extreme temperature use.
meawinner
Hi please help I have to do a piece of coursework on sensors. I am testing a thermistor and my teacher mentioned something about calibration but I don't know what it is can someone help please. I have taken results for the resistances for every ten degrees from 0 to 150

Physics news on Phys.org
Emerse your sensor in a water/ice chip mix to find the value at 0C. This will calibrate your scale.

1. What is a thermistor and how does it work?

A thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that is made of a semiconductor material. It works by changing its resistance in response to changes in temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistance decreases, and vice versa.

2. Why is testing and calibration important for thermistors?

Testing and calibration are important for thermistors because it ensures that the temperature readings are accurate and reliable. This is especially important in scientific experiments and industrial processes where precise temperature control is necessary.

3. How is a thermistor calibrated?

A thermistor is calibrated by placing it in a controlled environment with known temperatures and comparing its readings to those of a calibrated reference thermometer. The thermistor's resistance-temperature relationship is then adjusted accordingly to ensure accurate readings.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a thermistor?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a thermistor, including age, environmental conditions (such as humidity), and the quality of the manufacturing process. It is important to regularly test and calibrate thermistors to ensure accurate readings.

5. Can thermistors be used in extreme temperatures?

Yes, thermistors can be used in extreme temperatures, but the type of thermistor used will depend on the specific temperature range. For example, some thermistors are designed for use in very low temperatures, while others can withstand high temperatures up to 300 degrees Celsius. It is important to choose the right type of thermistor for the intended use to ensure accurate readings.