Solve Flywheel Question: Magnitude & Direction of Resultant Linear Accel.

• Thread starter paul9619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a flywheel brought to rest with uniform angular deceleration. It includes determining the number of revolutions made, the magnitude and direction of the resultant linear acceleration of a point on the flywheel, and drawing a vector diagram to represent the results. The use of negative values and their significance is also mentioned.
paul9619
Flywheel Question??

Hi all I have done the following question:

A flywheel , intially rotating at a speed of 600 rev/min, is brought to rest with uniform angular deceleration in 10 seconds.

A) How many revolutions does the flywheel make before coming to rest?

I used Pheta = (Wo + W)t/2 to get 314.16 rads. The I used 314.16/2Pi to get 50 revolutions

B)Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant linear acceleration of a point A on the flywheel 0.5seconds before coming to rest. Assume the point A is positioned at a fixed radius of 150mm from the axis of rotation.

I firstly worked out angular acceleration to be -6.2832 rads/sec. I then found W to be 3.14 rads/sec. Using the formula for radial acceleration (ar) = w^2r I got 1.4804.
And for tangential acceleration i got -0.94248. Therefore the resultant linear acceleration using pythagorus is 1.755. The resultant angle is tan-1(-0.94/1.48) = -32.48 degrees.

Now what's confusing me is all the minus signs. Is this a legit answer? The minus angle is confusing me?

The final question is:

C) Draw a vector diagram showing the maginitude and direction of the resultant linear acceleration and its radial and tangential components??

Shall I draw the vector diagram using the answers above. So it will end up being in the 3rd quadrant?

Cheers

Do I just use the minus values worked out above.

Physics news on Phys.org
paul9619 said:
Hi all I have done the following question:

B)Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant linear acceleration of a point A on the flywheel 0.5seconds before coming to rest. Assume the point A is positioned at a fixed radius of 150mm from the axis of rotation.

I firstly worked out angular acceleration to be -6.2832 rads/sec. I then found W to be 3.14 rads/sec. Using the formula for radial acceleration (ar) = w^2r I got 1.4804.
And for tangential acceleration i got -0.94248. Therefore the resultant linear acceleration using pythagorus is 1.755. The resultant angle is tan-1(-0.94/1.48) = -32.48 degrees.

Now what's confusing me is all the minus signs. Is this a legit answer? The minus angle is confusing me?

It might help to draw a picture of the wheel at the time of 0.5 seconds with point A at the correct position. Then draw the accelleration components. The centripetal or radial accelaration points to the center and tangential accleration is pointing the opposite direction of movement.

I would like to first commend you on successfully solving the flywheel question and obtaining the correct answers. Your calculations and use of relevant equations are correct.

To answer your question, the minus signs in your answers are a result of the direction of the acceleration being opposite to the direction of rotation. In this case, the flywheel is decelerating, so the acceleration is in the opposite direction of its initial rotation. This is why your tangential acceleration is negative, indicating a decreasing speed.

For the vector diagram, you can use the magnitude and direction of the resultant linear acceleration and its radial and tangential components as calculated above. The resultant linear acceleration vector would be pointing in the negative x direction, while the radial and tangential components would be pointing in the negative and positive y directions, respectively. This would result in a vector diagram in the third quadrant, as you mentioned.

Overall, your answers and approach to the problem are correct. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps to stabilize the rotational speed of a machine or system. It consists of a heavy wheel mounted on an axle and is connected to the system through a series of gears.

2. How is the magnitude of resultant linear acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of resultant linear acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = ω²r, where ω is the angular velocity of the flywheel and r is the radius of the flywheel.

3. What factors affect the direction of resultant linear acceleration in a flywheel?

The direction of resultant linear acceleration in a flywheel is affected by the direction of rotation, the mass of the flywheel, and the position of the center of mass of the flywheel.

4. How does the direction of resultant linear acceleration affect the performance of a flywheel?

The direction of resultant linear acceleration affects the performance of a flywheel by determining the direction of the resulting force or torque that can be used to perform work or maintain the rotational speed of the system.

5. Why is it important to consider both magnitude and direction of resultant linear acceleration in flywheel systems?

Considering both magnitude and direction of resultant linear acceleration is important because it allows us to accurately analyze the motion and performance of a flywheel system. The magnitude tells us the strength of the acceleration, while the direction tells us the direction of the resulting force or torque, both of which are crucial in understanding the behavior and efficiency of the system.