Projectile Physics: Designing Weapons for Realism

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of developing a realistic game and the considerations that need to be taken into account when designing weapons, such as trajectories and impact results. The topic of equations and calculations for projectiles is also brought up, including factors like atmospheric resistance and wind deviation. The possibility of varying damage based on impact velocity is mentioned, and the use of kinetic power instead of kinetic energy is suggested. It is also recommended to use metric units and to focus on the force of impact rather than energy. Several resources for ballistics software and formulas are mentioned.
slain
Ok Guys I need some help here...
I am in the process of developing my own game and I am trying to think of all the things that I need to consider in order to make the game more realistic. When I am designing the weapons (snipers, grenade launchers, sub machine guns, etc) what are the various things i need to consider in order to get the trajectories and impact results right. For example, consider a bullet from a M4 Carbine of weight 60 grains and a muzzle velocity of 2800 feet/sec. Is there an equation which would define the trajectory that the bullet would follow and could the impact result be reduced to an equation. could this equation consider extreme situations like if the subject would be thrown back by the impact or if it would be a clean exit and what about considering a graze instead of a direct hit.
Im prolly askin for too much but help me out guys. pweaseeeeeeee :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by slain
Ok Guys I need some help here...
I am in the process of developing my own game and I am trying to think of all the things that I need to consider in order to make the game more realistic. When I am designing the weapons (snipers, grenade launchers, sub machine guns, etc) what are the various things i need to consider in order to get the trajectories and impact results right. For example, consider a bullet from a M4 Carbine of weight 60 grains and a muzzle velocity of 2800 feet/sec. Is there an equation which would define the trajectory that the bullet would follow and could the impact result be reduced to an equation. could this equation consider extreme situations like if the subject would be thrown back by the impact or if it would be a clean exit and what about considering a graze instead of a direct hit.
Im prolly askin for too much but help me out guys. pweaseeeeeeee :)

They will be able to tell you at the site you goggled this from:

"from a M4 Carbine of weight 60 grains and a muzzle velocity of 2800 feet/sec."

I've got friends coming back from Afganistan that will be able to answer your qwestion. If you can wait.

I think it was quite evident from my original post that I "am trying to make it as realistic as possible". If 2800 feet/sec and 600 grains happen to be the exact specification of a M4 Carbine, maybe it isn't just coincidence? And I seriously doubt anyone from Afghanistan could answer my query. They still havnt mastered speaking english let alone logging onto the internet and posting on a physics forum :)

I will try to put together an equation for the trajectile.
[tex]
y=v_y t- \frac{1}{2}gt^2
[/tex]
[tex]
x=v_xt
[/tex]
So,
[tex]
t=\frac{x}{v_x}
[/tex]
[tex]
y=v_y (\frac{x}{v_x})- \frac{1}{2}g (\frac{x}{v_x})^2
[/tex]
[tex]
y=f(x)=(\frac{v_y}{v_x})x- (\frac{g}{2v_x})x^2
[/tex]
This gives y as a function of x. As you know, this is a parabola.
I'd like to answer other questions, but don't have enough time now.

Just to firm what kishtik said:

The Kinematic equation [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Originally posted by BLUE_CHIP
Just to firm what kishtik said:

The Kinematic equation [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
For the purpose of a game, its probably better to reconstruct that using launch angle as your dependent variable in separate x and y equations. The computer can calculate the entire trajectory from the launch angle (and given muzzle velocity) and then move the projectile along that path. See: http://www.rit.edu/~jxa3625/trajectoryreport.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
neato... thanks guys... this is a good start... it should be easy to factor in the deceleration due to atmospheric resistance and deviation due to wind using these equations as bases...

do you guys think it would be possible to vary the damage caused by the projectiles based on impact velocity or would i just be screwing myself trying to implement that? I realize it would surely add to the cool factor of the game physics... but i suppose it would also require greater attention to human anatomy and armour. If nothing else it would be nice to see how intencive the calculations would be on the processor.

Originally posted by slain
neato... thanks guys... this is a good start... it should be easy to factor in the deceleration due to atmospheric resistance and deviation due to wind using these equations as bases...
I guess it depends on the type of game, but for most purposes you don't need to bother with those.
do you guys think it would be possible to vary the damage caused by the projectiles based on impact velocity or would i just be screwing myself trying to implement that?
That should work fine - except use kinetic energy, not velocity. Kinetic energy is 1/2 m*v^2.

actually i am thinking of using Kinetic Power instead of Kinetic Energy since KE does not take into consideration the mass of the projectile.
[tex]kp=ke\ast m[/tex]
where, m = momentum.

Last edited:
Don't use "grains". Use grams.

Don't use "feet/second". Use metres/second.

Don't worry about how much energy you need to get the projectile going. Worry more about the Force with which it hits.

You can get a free 30 day trial of ballistics software from www.remington.com[/url] or [url]www.winchester.com.[/URL] The tables include the effects of aerodynamic drag, wind drift, temperature and altitude. The coefficient of aerodynamic drag varies greatly with velocity, and is highest near mach 1. I have the calculus formulas and additional information used in these formulas if you need them.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is projectile physics?

Projectile physics is the study of the motion of objects that are launched into the air and travel through a medium, such as air or water, under the force of gravity.

2. How does projectile physics apply to designing weapons?

Projectile physics is essential in designing weapons because it helps determine the trajectory, speed, and impact of projectiles. This information is crucial for creating realistic and effective weapons.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact.

4. How can projectile physics be used to make weapons more realistic?

By accurately studying and applying projectile physics, weapons can be designed to have realistic trajectories, speeds, and impacts. This can enhance the overall realism and effectiveness of the weapon.

5. Are there any limitations to using projectile physics in weapon design?

While projectile physics is a crucial aspect of designing weapons, it is not the only factor to consider. Other factors such as materials, construction, and target characteristics also play a significant role in weapon design and performance.