Build Paper Bridge: Guidelines & Suggestions

In summary, you need to build a paper bridge that is free standing with the highest point on the bridge being the roadbed. The bridge must be able to fit within the following dimensional ranges: aspect, weight, height, width, and length. Additionally, a 5cm by 5cm by 5cm cube must be able to pass freely beneath the bridge from its lowest point up.
scoles
I just got this project for my physics class. I need to build a paper bridge out of only paper and Elmer's glue. The bridge must be free standing with the highest point on the bridge being the roadbed (i was thinking i could do a suspension bridge, but I can't under that guideline). The bridge must fit within the following dimensional ranges:

Aspect Maximum Minimum
weight 99 g none
height 20 cm 5 cm
width 10 cm 3 cm
length 60 cm 40 cm

in addition, a 5cm by 5cm by 5cm cube must be able to pass freely beneath the bridge from its lowest point up. No lamination is allowed (a build up of five or more consecutive layers of paper in difect contact or separated by only glue)

any suggestions? I'm starting on a bridge with an arch but I'm not sure what to put to support the arch...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Did you figure out a way to this project? I have the same project now and am not sure how to start. Can you please help by giving me some pointers?

\Krishna

Can you fold the paper in anyway? Intuitively it seems that you could make the paper a little more rigid by rolling/folding the paper up. Plus it will decrease the size.

As to the arch idea -- you could, however the idea of the arch is that it supports itself

I will have to roll the paper.However, rolling the paper does not make the paper tough to hold even some ounces. I need it to take on more weight

Well a single sheet of looseleaf paper weighs only like ~0.9g so you can use a lot. I don't know how much the glue will add to the weight however, I'd bet not that much. You can't laminate but you can fold the paper as many times as possible if you wanted to. Folding the paper reinforces it (great for making columns, arches, etc.) Honestly I decided to do this and I've gotten it to work with both columns and arches^^

1. What materials do I need to build a paper bridge?

To build a paper bridge, you will need sturdy paper or cardstock, scissors, and a ruler. You may also want to have tape, glue, and additional decorations on hand.

2. What are the guidelines for building a paper bridge?

The guidelines for building a paper bridge vary depending on the specific bridge design and purpose. However, some general guidelines include using a strong base for support, evenly distributing weight, and reinforcing weak points with additional paper or support structures.

3. How do I test the strength of my paper bridge?

To test the strength of your paper bridge, you can add small weights or objects to the bridge until it collapses. You can also use a measuring tool to determine how much weight the bridge can hold before breaking. Remember to record your results for future reference and improvement.

4. Can I use other materials besides paper to build a paper bridge?

Yes, you can use other materials such as toothpicks, popsicle sticks, or straws in combination with paper to build a stronger bridge. However, make sure to follow the guidelines and suggestions for the specific materials you are using.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a paper bridge?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when using scissors and other sharp objects during the building process. It is also recommended to have adult supervision, especially for younger children. Additionally, be mindful of the weight and height of your bridge to avoid any potential accidents.