What are the Predictions for the Higgs Mass in Different Models?

In summary, experts predict the Higgs mass to be between 97GeV and 130GeV in the MSSM model, with a lower limit of 140GeV in the NMSSM model. The little Higgs model is already ruled out and the split supersymmetry model has no concrete predictions. The upper bound on the nMSSM model comes from the form of the mass matrix, with the largest eigenvalue being 140GeV. This is determined by combining the MSSM bound with an extra term from the singlet coupling to the Higgs. The upper bound on lambda in the nMSSM model is indirectly a unitarity bound.
jgraber
Can anyone tell me what the experts expect the Higgs mass to be in various well discussed models?
i.e. SM
MSSM
nMSSM
little Higgs
split supersymmetry
others?

Or do they all just predict 114-1000 GeV?

I think MSSM predicts less than 125 or 130 max.

I have heard rumors that SM predicts near 175,
and also that it predicts 85 plus unspecified corrections.

The others I only know broad ranges or weasel words.

Can anyone help me out?
Pointers to actual sources for any significant predictions would be appreciated.
TIA
Jim Graber

Physics news on Phys.org
SM: no prediction, but electroweak precision fits indicate it is lighter than 200GeV. LEP searches indicate it is heavier than 114GeV

MSSM: lower limit as above (there are a few 'edge of parameter space' scenarios where it could be as light as about 97GeV though). Upper limit about 130GeV

NMSSM: upper limit about 140GeV, no lower limit.

little Higgs is pretty much already ruled out. The allowed scenarios are getting increasingly wacky.

Split susy: no idea - why would anyone care?

This talk might be useful to you:
http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/ILC/workshops/ew_workshop/gruenewald.pdf
(slide 20 has the 'rumors' you were talking about)

Speaking of the nMssM do you happen to know which processes combine to give the unitarity bound on the upper limit?

It isn't a unitarity bound. It is a bound coming directly from the form of the mass matrix. The smallest eigenvalue of a matrix is always less than its smallest diagonal entry.

IC, that's interesting (I have hopelessly little knowledge in the nMssM phenomonology other than just the general scheme).. What does the 140 GEV diagonal eigenstate correspond too and how are they able to get the number?

It is the usual bound from the MSSM plus an extra term that comes from the singlet coupling to the Higgs.

You might find this paper useful:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0304049

Eq.26 is the appropriate term.

Actually, the upper bound on lambda is unitarity, so I suppose it is indirectly a unitarity bound after all.

Last edited:
Thanks, makes a lot of sense now and a good paper as well.

1. What is the Higgs mass prediction?

The Higgs mass prediction is a theoretical calculation of the mass of the Higgs boson, a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving other particles their mass. It is an important parameter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How is the Higgs mass prediction calculated?

The Higgs mass prediction is calculated using a combination of experimental data and theoretical calculations. Scientists use data from particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to determine the mass of other particles and then use this information to make predictions about the mass of the Higgs boson.

3. Has the Higgs mass prediction been confirmed experimentally?

Yes, the Higgs mass prediction has been confirmed experimentally. In 2012, the Large Hadron Collider announced the discovery of the Higgs boson with a mass around 125 GeV, which was in agreement with the predicted mass range of 115-127 GeV.

4. Can the Higgs mass prediction change over time?

Yes, the Higgs mass prediction can change over time as new experimental data and theoretical advancements are made. As more data is collected and analyzed, scientists can refine their predictions and potentially discover new physics that could impact the predicted mass of the Higgs boson.

5. What are the implications of the Higgs mass prediction?

The Higgs mass prediction has important implications for our understanding of the universe. It helps to validate the Standard Model of particle physics and can also provide insight into other fundamental questions, such as the origin of mass and the nature of dark matter. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in medical imaging and particle accelerators.