I've told you a million times - don't hyperbolize (density of objects)

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, on the science show "How Do They Do That?", a claim was made that the core of a golf ball is made of a polymer compressed to the equivalent of 40kg of steel in a 4cm diameter sphere, which is 1200 times the density of water and 50 times denser than the densest element. However, upon further research, this claim cannot be verified and the density of a whole golf ball is only slightly higher than water.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just heard a ridiculous claim on what is supposedly a science show "How Do They Do That?"

They said that the core of a golf ball is made from a polymer compressed so much that it is equivalent to "40kg of steel fitting in a sphere just 4cm in diameter".

That's 1200g/cm3! 1200 times the density of water, 50 times denser than the densest element!

I keep reviewing the claim in my head, trying to figure out how I could have misheard it. Even if he said 4kg instead of 40, that's STILL preposterous.

Alas, nowhere can I find any claim online that tells me what the correct number is. I see numbers for a whole golf ball, but not for the core (which will be higher.) A whole golf ball is only a little denser than water.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've opened a golf ball before, definitely not that much pressure. :)

First of all, I completely understand your frustration and skepticism towards this claim. As a science enthusiast, it can be disheartening to hear false or exaggerated information being presented as fact on a supposedly reputable show.

It's important to remember that not everything we hear on TV or the internet is completely accurate. In this case, it seems like the show may have been exaggerating or misrepresenting the facts for the sake of entertainment or shock value.

It's always a good idea to do some fact-checking and research on our own to verify information, especially when it comes to science. And in this case, it seems like your instincts were right to question the claim and look for more reliable sources.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and reminding us to be critical thinkers when it comes to information presented to us. Let's continue to seek out the truth and not just blindly believe everything we hear.

What is hyperbolization?

Hyperbolization is the act of exaggerating or overemphasizing something in order to make a point or create a dramatic effect.

Why is hyperbolization not accurate in science?

In science, we strive for accuracy and precision in our measurements and descriptions. Hyperbolization can lead to misleading or incorrect information, which goes against the principles of science.

What are some examples of hyperbolization in science?

An example of hyperbolization in science could be saying that a substance is "a million times heavier than a feather." While this may be an effective way to convey the concept of density, it is not a scientifically accurate statement.

How does hyperbolization affect the density of objects?

Hyperbolization does not directly affect the density of objects. However, if hyperbolic statements are used to describe the density of an object, it can lead to misunderstandings and incorrect assumptions about the object's properties.

How can we avoid hyperbolization in scientific communication?

To avoid hyperbolization in scientific communication, it is important to stick to factual and precise language when describing measurements and observations. Avoiding vague or exaggerated statements can help ensure accuracy in scientific communication.