Fluid Dynamics & Physics Questions: Answers & Discussion

• Thread starter holly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the speaker is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of physics material they have to study before reaching the chemistry part of their course. They express gratitude for the help received on the forum and mention studying fluid dynamics now. They ask a question about a Ping-Pong ball in a weightless spacecraft and a physics principle related to windows breaking on trains. They also express appreciation for the forum's help in understanding the course material.
holly
*sigh*
I said my good-byes too soon, it seems...the course actually has 200 more pages of physics torture before we reach the chemistry part of the course. Unpleasant news, yes, but I know I can take it...can this forum?

BTW, I got 100% on my test today, thanks to the help I received on these boards! But no rest for the wicked! Press on, press on! We are studying fluid dynamics now.

Q. If you release a Ping-Pong ball beneath the surface of water, it will rise to the surface. Would it do the same if it were submerged in a big blob of water floating weightless in an orbiting spacecraft ?
A. I think it would possibly do so, since the water will still be pressing on it from all angles, no? and thus pushing it to the edge of the blob?

Q. What physics principle underlies this observation: The windows of older passenger trains sometimes break when a high-speed train passes by on the next track.

Thanking you in advance.
A. Is this like a tornado, POPPING the window out because it sucks the air out?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I can't imagine any reason it would. Water isn't pushing it from all sides any more than would happen if I put it on a table and stuck two books next to it. Gravity is the source of water pressure.

2. I'm sure there must have been a time when you were walking on the sidwalk and a huge big rig just drove right by you. I'll bet you felt it, too. The concept's the same.

Glad to hear you did well on your test. Is the stuff you've picked up still torture, or is it getting easier in general?

cookiemonster

Cookiemonster's answers are good but I want to say 2 things:

Actually there is a slight pressure on something surrounded by water- it's basically surface tension- even when weightless.
However, holly said "since the water will still be pressing on it from all angles and thus pushing it to the edge of the blob". If the water is pressing (equally) from all sides, why would it move?

Second: "Bernoulli's principle": the faster the air is moving, the lower the pressure.

1. I thought the ping-pong ball might move because the orbiting capsule will surely have a pressurized cabin...in effect, artificial atmospheric pressure? I thought that maybe if the capsule wasn't rotating, just flying along with one side towards the earth, the air pressure would be pressing a bit more at the bottom of the blob because the air has weight, and that would pop the ball out of the top of the blob. If there wasn't any air pressure, then there wouldn't be a blob, but rather millions of bloblettes, was my thought.

2. Thank you both, I can now see by the real answer that they are looking for the principle and not asking for a reason the window would break.

BTW, this forum is why I can now do better in understanding the course material. Before, I felt desperate and hopeless, but I feel now that I can get help, altho' I'm sorry to be so irritating to the members and regretful I have so few "Eureka" moments in my thinking.

Last edited:

1. What is fluid dynamics and why is it important?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) flow and behave in different environments. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as in engineering, weather patterns, and biological processes.

2. What are the basic principles of fluid dynamics?

The basic principles of fluid dynamics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help us understand how fluids move and interact with their surroundings.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of fluid with well-defined streamlines, while turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable with irregular flow patterns. Laminar flow occurs at low velocities and is characterized by a low Reynolds number, while turbulent flow occurs at higher velocities and has a high Reynolds number.

4. What is Bernoulli's principle and how is it applied in fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is applied in fluid dynamics to explain phenomena such as lift in airplanes and the flow of fluids through pipes.

5. How is fluid dynamics used in real-world applications?

Fluid dynamics has many real-world applications, including in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships, in weather prediction, in the study of ocean currents, and in the understanding of blood flow in the human body. It is also used in the design of pipelines and pumps for various industries, such as oil and gas and water treatment.