Optics - what image will I see if I stand in positions A,B,C (pics included)

In summary, the diagrams and explanation provided show that if an observer stands at position A, they will see both the object and the image. However, if they stand at positions B or C, they will only see the image or neither the object nor the image, respectively. This is due to the formation of a virtual image by the mirror, which is always located behind the mirror regardless of the observer's position.
pizzadude
Hi. I included a pic with the diagrams of a mirror problem. Blue line is the object, black is image. Now, to the problem. I know that if I stand at position A, I will see the object and the image because they're both in front of me. Also because there's a picture in the book (candle pic, included as well) with a point of view from position A that allows me to see both the object and the image. My question is, what will I see if I stand at position B, then at position C?

My guess is that I will see only the image if I stand at position B because the object is behind me. If I stand at position C, I guess I would see neither the object or the image because they're both behind me.

Attachments

• lens pic.JPG
    lens pic.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 366
  • candle pic.JPG
    candle pic.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for sharing your diagrams and explaining your question. Based on the information provided, your understanding is correct. If you stand at position B, you will only see the image because the object is behind you and the light rays from the object will reflect off the mirror and travel away from you. This is known as the "virtual image" formed by the mirror. Similarly, if you stand at position C, you will not see the object or the image because they are both behind you and the light rays from the object will not reach your eyes.

It is important to note that the image formed by the mirror is always located behind the mirror, regardless of the position of the observer. This is due to the fact that the light rays from the object reflect off the mirror at equal angles, creating the illusion of the image being behind the mirror.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the mirror problem. Keep exploring and asking questions!

I would like to clarify and provide a more detailed explanation for your question. Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the formation of images. In this case, we are dealing with a simple mirror problem, where an object is placed in front of a mirror and we are observing its image from different positions.

Firstly, let us understand the concept of a virtual image. A virtual image is an image that is formed by the apparent intersection of light rays, but the light rays themselves do not actually pass through that point. In other words, it is an image that cannot be projected onto a screen. In contrast, a real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen and is formed by the actual intersection of light rays.

Now, let's look at the diagrams provided. In position A, both the object and its image are in front of the mirror, which means that they are both in your field of view. This is why you can see both the object and the image from this position.

In position B, the object is behind you, as you correctly pointed out. However, the image is still formed in front of the mirror, and therefore, you will still be able to see the image. This is because the light rays from the object are reflected off the mirror and converge to form an image behind you. This image is then reflected off the mirror again and appears to be in front of the mirror, thus making it visible to you.

In position C, both the object and its image are behind you. As you correctly guessed, you will not be able to see either the object or its image from this position. This is because the light rays from the object are reflected off the mirror and converge to form an image behind you, but since you are facing away from the mirror, the image will not be visible to you.

In summary, from position A, you will see both the object and its image. From position B, you will only see the image, and from position C, you will not see either the object or its image. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your question.

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the formation of images.

2. What determines the image I see?

The image you see is determined by the position and properties of the object, the properties of the medium through which light travels, and the properties of the optical system (e.g. lenses, mirrors) used to view the object.

3. What is the difference between positions A, B, and C?

Positions A, B, and C refer to different locations from which you can view the object. These positions may have different angles of viewing, distances from the object, and/or properties of the medium through which light travels. This can result in different images being formed.

4. How can I predict the image I will see in each position?

To predict the image you will see in each position, you need to consider the properties of the object, the medium, and the optical system. By using principles of optics, such as Snell's law and ray tracing, you can determine the path of light and the resulting image for each position.

5. Can I change the image by moving to a different position?

Yes, you can change the image by moving to a different position. By changing your viewing angle, distance from the object, and/or properties of the medium, you can alter the path of light and thus change the resulting image. This is why different positions can result in different images.