Understanding Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem: Finding Currents in a Complex Circuit

• Thread starter Boulderbison19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude and direction of currents through r1 and r2 in a circuit using Kirchoff's Laws. The speaker mentions finding the current through r2 to be -.4 Amps and mentions the given answers of I1=.68 amps and I2= -.4 amps. They then ask for help with Kirchoff's circuit problems and the other speaker explains how to use the voltage law to solve for the currents. The conversation ends with the first speaker revealing they are located near Boulder High School.
Boulderbison19

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude and directions of the currents through r1 and r2 in the diagram below.

Homework Equations

V=IR

here is the schematic, i hope you can get the idea of the circuit from it:
kirchoffs.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the current through r2 to be -.4 Amps, which was the answer given using:

V=IR
6.0=15I

but i don't know if i just got lucky.

the answers given were I1=.68 amps and I2= -.4 amps. i am completely stuck on all of these kirchhoffs circuit problems, so any help will be much apreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kirchoff's Laws require you to sum the currents into each node or sum the voltages around each loop. To do the voltage law, call I1 the current circulating, say, CW around the top loop (9V battery, R1, R2, back to battery) and I2 the current circulating around the bottom loop. The voltages around the top loop are

-9 + 22*I1 + 15*(I1-I2) =0

Do you see how that works? Now you do the bottom loop. Then it is a simple matter to solve for the currents I1 and I2.

BTW, are you at CU? Just wondering from your screen name...

thanks so much! that makes a lot more sense now. i couldn't figure out the paths, and tried almost everything.

i am at boulder high, just down the street.

Good, glad to help :biggrin:

I'm south nearer Fairview.

1. What is Kirchoff's circuit problem?

Kirchoff's circuit problem refers to a set of principles and laws used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits. It was developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchoff in the mid-19th century.

2. What are the two laws of Kirchoff's circuit problem?

The two laws are Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL). KVL states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop of a circuit must equal zero, while KCL states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must also equal zero.

3. How is Kirchoff's circuit problem applied in real-world situations?

Kirchoff's circuit problem is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, from simple circuits in household appliances to more complex circuits in electronic devices and power systems. It is also used in troubleshooting and repairing faulty circuits.

4. Is Kirchoff's circuit problem always accurate?

While Kirchoff's circuit problem provides a good theoretical basis for analyzing circuits, it may not always be accurate in real-world situations due to factors such as non-ideal components, parasitic effects, and electromagnetic interference. However, it is still a useful tool for understanding and designing circuits.

5. What are some common mistakes when applying Kirchoff's circuit problem?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include all elements in the circuit, incorrectly applying the laws, and not considering the direction of currents and voltages. It is important to carefully draw the circuit and label all components and values before applying Kirchoff's laws.