About C^k and C^oo spaces

• Thread starter e12514
  • Start date
In summary, if a sequence is cauchy in C^oo, it is cauchy in C^k for all k. Convergence in C^oo implies convergence in C^k.
e12514
I have a cauchy sequence (f_n) in the space of functions on [0,1] which are infinitely differentiable, C^oo ([0,1]) = INTERSECTION C^k ([0,1]), k from 0 to oo, with the metric d(f,g) = SUM 2^-i * ||f-g||_C^i / ( 1 + ||f-g||_C^i ), i from 0 to oo

If we assume that we do not know whether ( C^oo, d ) is complete or not from the beginning, but that we know ( C^k, ||.|| ) are Banach spaces for all k,

is it valid to claim that (f_n) is cauchy in C^k ([0,1]) for all k?

reason:
(f_n) cauchy in C^oo
for all epsilon > 0 there exists N(depending on epsilon) in the set of natural numbers such that
m,n >= N => d(f_m, f_n) < epsilon
so there exists N s.t.
epsilon > d(f_m, f_n) = SUM 2^-i * ||f_m - f_n||_C^i / ( 1 + ||f_m - f_n||_C^i ), i from 0 to oo
i.e.
epsilon > SUM 2^-i * [ 1 / ( 1 + ||f_m - f_n||_C^i ) - 1 ] , i from 0 to oo

and so we can make the above sum as arbitrarily small as we desire,
therefore we can make ||f_m - f_n||_C^i as arbitrarily small as we desire since this is the only "variable" in the above sum.
i.e. ||f_m - f_n||_C^i < epsilon_i for all i

and hence (f_n) is cauchy in C^k for all k

Also with the same situation as before but this time I have a convergent sequence in C^oo, i.e. (f_n) -> f in C^oo

Is it valid to claim that (f_n) is convergent in C^k for all k?

reason:
with exactly the same method as before except replace "f_m, f_n" by "f_n and f"

or

(f_n) -> f in C^oo means
f_n - f -> 0, i.e.
d(f_n, f) -> 0, i.e.
SUM 2^-i * ||f_n - f||_C^i / ( 1 + ||f_n - f||_C^i ), i from 0 to oo, goes to zero, i.e.
||f_n - f||_C^i -> 0 for all i since 2^-i > 0 so the other part of the numerator needs to be zero
i.e. (f_n) -> f in C^k for all k

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
e12514 said:
is it valid to claim that (f_n) is cauchy in C^k ([0,1]) for all k?
I'm not sure. I think you might have a problem with the N_k s, i.e. how far you have to go in the sequence before all terms are within epsilon of each other. If the N_k 's kept getting larger and larger, I'm not sure if you could say that f_n was cauchy in C^oo, because you might not be able to make that sum you mentioned as arbitraily small as possible. In other words, perhaps N_k needs an upper bound, or perhaps I'm simply being overly pedantic.

If for every k the sequence is cauchy, that means that the functions are converging to a limit in C^k. Perhaps if you found this limit and proved that all the C^k limits were the same?.

Actually, what if you could make all those terms in your sequence less than say epsilon*2^-k. Then the sum of the infinite geometric series would be less than epsilon. But woundn't you need an upper bound on N_k to do this.

I don't have any analysis texts in front of me. Sorry.

Okay, now I'm getting a bit confused...
I want to show that any sequence that is cauchy in C^oo implies it is cauchy in C^k for all k, and that any sequence that is convergent in C^oo implies it is convergent in C^k for all k.
So I can take any cauchy sequence in C^oo and can make that sum as small as desired, same with the second case where I can take any convergent sequence in C^oo...

1. What do C^k and C^oo spaces represent?

C^k and C^oo spaces are mathematical notations used to represent different levels of smoothness or differentiability of functions. They are commonly used in the field of differential geometry and analysis.

2. What is the difference between C^k and C^oo spaces?

The main difference between C^k and C^oo spaces is the level of smoothness or differentiability required for a function to belong in each space. C^k spaces contain functions that are at least k times continuously differentiable, while C^oo spaces contain functions that are infinitely differentiable or smooth.

3. What are the applications of C^k and C^oo spaces?

C^k and C^oo spaces are used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as differential equations, calculus of variations, and harmonic analysis. They are also used in physics, engineering, and computer science for modeling and solving problems involving smooth functions.

4. How are C^k and C^oo spaces related to Taylor series?

The level of differentiability in C^k and C^oo spaces is closely related to the convergence of Taylor series. Functions in C^oo spaces have a Taylor series that converges to the function itself, while functions in C^k spaces have a Taylor series that converges to the kth derivative of the function.

5. Can functions in C^oo spaces have discontinuities?

No, functions in C^oo spaces are required to be smooth or infinitely differentiable, which means they do not have any discontinuities. However, they may have derivatives that are not continuous, known as "wild" derivatives.