Precession in a central potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the shift in angular position of the periapsis after one complete orbit of a parametrized orbit in polar form. The solution involves choosing appropriate axes and calculating the deviation from periodicity, which is found to be 2\pi/\Gamma.
noospace

Homework Statement

Consider the following parametrization of an orbit in polar form,

[itex] \ell u = 1 + e \cos[(\phi -\phi_0)\Gamma][/itex]

where u = 1/r.

I'm trying to find the shift in the angular position of the periapsis after one complete orbit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose axes so that the point of first closest approach is [itex]\phi_0[/itex].

[itex] u'(\phi) = - \Gamma e \sin[(\phi -\phi_0)\Gamma][/itex]

Setting [itex]u'(0) =0[/itex] we obtain

[itex] (\phi -\phi_0)\Gamma = n \pi[/itex] where n is an integer.

So after one complete orbit I guess the shift is [itex]\Delta \phi = \phi - \phi_0 = \frac{\pi}{\Gamma}[/itex], or should that be [itex]\frac{2pi}{\Gamma}[/itex]?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I preffer this:

[itex]\frac{2pi}{\Gamma}-\frac{2pi}{1}[/itex]

To solve this problem, you even don't need to consider the exact trajectory.
You simply need to check how much (an angle) the trajectory deviates from periodicity.
For [itex]\Gamma = 1[/itex] the trajectory is periodic and there is no shift.

How did you obtain 2Pi/Gamma - 2Pi?

On reflection I get [itex]2\pi/\Gamma[/itex]. I think the first perihelion occurs at 0, the first aphelion occurs at [itex]\pi/\Gamma[/itex] and the second perihelion at [itex]2\pi/\Gamma[/itex].

What is precession in a central potential?

Precession in a central potential is the phenomenon where the orientation of a spinning object changes over time due to the influence of a central force. This is most commonly observed in the motion of planets around the sun, where their orbits gradually shift in direction.

What causes precession in a central potential?

The main cause of precession in a central potential is the presence of a central force, which is a force that acts towards a fixed point. In the case of planetary motion, this central force is gravity, which pulls the planets towards the sun.

How is precession in a central potential calculated?

The precession in a central potential can be calculated using the equation: Δφ = 2πGM/(c²a), where Δφ is the change in orientation, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, c is the speed of light, and a is the distance between the spinning object and the central object.

What is the significance of precession in a central potential?

Precession in a central potential has several important implications in various fields of science. For example, it is a key concept in understanding the motion of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in the design and operation of satellites and spacecraft.

Can precession in a central potential be observed in everyday life?

Although precession in a central potential is most commonly observed on a large scale, it can also be observed in everyday life. For instance, the precession of a spinning top is a result of the force of gravity acting on it. It can also be observed in the precession of a gyroscope, which is used in navigation systems and toys.