Integration By Parts and Substitution

In summary, the substitution u=\ln(\pi)\sqrt{x} does not matter, and the integral can be solved using integration by parts.
Lanza52
[SOLVED] Integration By Parts and Substitution

Short background; Took Calc 1 my senior year in high school. Got As all 4 quarters and found it quite easy. Freshman year comes around and I sign up for Calc 2. Turns out the only teacher teaching Calculus 2 for my fall and spring semester is a horrible teacher who doesn't care about his students. So I decided to wait until my Sophomore year to take Calc 2.

So fast forward; I am picking up on all the new techniques and what have you, but I keep forgetting all the old, little essential things because of that year off.

So here's the problem;

[tex]\int\pi^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]

Solve using integration by parts. At the bottom of the problem my professor gave a hint saying "You may like to do a substitution first."

And I'm stumped. I haven't used substitution at all in the past 15 months.

The only substitution I can think of is [tex]{\sqrt{x}}=m[/tex], but that is of no use.

Thanks in advance. =P

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,

[tex]\pi^{\sqrt{x}} = e^{\sqrt{x} \, \ln \pi}[/tex]

And maybe the substitution u=\sqrt{x} from here?

morphism said:
Well,

[tex]\pi^{\sqrt{x}} = e^{\sqrt{x} \, \ln \pi}[/tex]

And maybe the substitution u=\sqrt{x} from here?

Played around with it for a while, didn't find anything. Not saying your wrong tho, I'm probably wrong.

I decided to use the substitution [itex]u=\ln(\pi)\sqrt{x}[/itex] instead, but that doesn't really matter. This transforms the integral into

[tex] \frac{2}{(\ln{\pi})^2} \int u e^u du. [/tex]

And from here it's an easy application of integration by parts.

morphism said:
I decided to use the substitution [itex]u=\ln(\pi)\sqrt{x}[/itex] instead, but that doesn't really matter. This transforms the integral into

And from here it's an easy application of integration by parts.

lol thanks for the help. But this is the part I don't remember how to do. Can't figure out how to get from
[tex]\int{\pi^\sqrt{x}}\ dx[/tex]
to

pi^(sqrt(x))=exp(ln(pi)*sqrt(x)). Then u=ln(pi)*sqrt(x), du=ln(pi)*dx/(2*sqrt(x)). Please check this and then try to continue.

Dick said:
pi^(sqrt(x))=exp(ln(pi)*sqrt(x)). Then u=ln(pi)*sqrt(x), du=ln(pi)*dx/(2*sqrt(x)). Please check this and then try to continue.

[tex]u=ln\pi\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{ln\pi dx}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

If I'm not wrong, that substitution would require;

[tex]\int\frac{ln\pi}{2\sqrt{x}} e^\sqrt{x}ln\pi[/tex]

I can account for the [tex]\frac{ln\pi}{2}[/tex] but I don't remember how to get the [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] before the e in the integral so that you can apply the du.

You are wrong. The integral is exp(u)*dx. Would you please solve for dx in terms of u and du so we can get on with this? Sorry to be snappy, it's getting late.

Still drawing a blank.

And I've never seen the term exp(u). I was thinking of it as e^(u) but the more I play with the numbers the more I see I'm wrong.

exp(u) is indeed just e^u.

We have:
du=ln(pi)*dx/(2*sqrt(x))

and

u=ln(pi)*sqrt(x).

It shouldn't be hard to write dx in terms of u and du.

Okay, pretty sure I got it. Like I said, I was just forgetting simple little substitution rules.

Thanks.

Okay, came up with a solution (I think)

Oh yea, the original problem was from 1 to 4. [tex]\int\pi^{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

u = m dv = e^m dm
du = dm v = e^m

me^m - [tex]\int[/tex] e^m dm

And from there subtract.

I came to 12.27177549 but this little online integral solver is telling me otherwise. (http://www.solvemymath.com/online_math_calculator/integrals/definite_integral_solver.php )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so u*e^u-e^u is ok. But you've lost all of the multiplicative constants like ln(pi) and 2. Where did they go?

Dick said:
Ok, so u*e^u-e^u is ok. But you've lost all of the multiplicative constants like ln(pi) and 2. Where did they go?

Ahhhh. Thank you very much.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and allows us to break down an integral into smaller parts that are easier to solve.

2. How do you perform integration by parts?

To perform integration by parts, you need to identify the functions in the integral that can be differentiated and integrated. Then, use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the functions identified, and du and dv are their respective differentials. This allows you to rewrite the integral in a simpler form and solve it.

3. What is substitution in integration?

Substitution is another technique used to solve integrals that involve complicated algebraic expressions. It involves replacing a variable or expression in the integral with a new variable or expression that makes the integral easier to solve.

4. How do you perform substitution in integration?

To perform substitution in integration, you need to identify a suitable substitution that will make the integral simpler to solve. This can be done by looking for patterns or using trigonometric identities. Then, substitute the new variable or expression into the integral and solve it using standard integration techniques.

5. When should I use integration by parts and when should I use substitution?

Both integration by parts and substitution can be used to solve integrals, but each is more suitable for certain types of integrals. Integration by parts is useful for integrals involving products of functions, while substitution is useful for integrals involving complicated algebraic expressions. It is important to practice and gain experience to know when to use each technique.