Looking for a gas flow switch/sensor any leads?

In summary, Troy is a student at Akron University studying to be a mechanical polymer engineer. He is looking for a flow switch or sensor that can detect flow above 0 cfm and allow up to 1.2cfm or 0-35Lpm. He has searched various sources but is open to other suggestions. One idea is to use a tandem pressure switch with a solenoid valve to actuate based on pressure. Other suggestions are welcome.
tdd10
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum or posted wrong. I'm new here my name is Troy and I'm a student at Akron University in Ohio. I am a junior studying to be a mechanical polymer engineer. I'm wondering does anyone know of a flow switch/sensor that only senses that there is flow above 0 cfm and can allow flow up to 1.2cfm or 0-35Lpm. If anyone has any info on this please let me know. I've searched over global spec quite a bit, cole parmer, eaton electric, to name a few. it just needs to be reallly simple. It does not need to disply or send a certain figure to a computer just an open or close signal on/off. If anyone has any possible knowledge or leads please let me know. Thank you very much.
-Troy

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would look at running a tandem pressure switch with a simple 2 way solenoid valve. The solenoid valve can be sized for the Cv you require (flow) and the pressure switch will detect the pressure and actuate the valve.

I can't say I know of a single unit that will do both, but I haven't had to look in quite a while.

Thank you so much for the quick reply I was just introding myself in the general discussion area. I will look into this as I am exploring many possibilities. Any others that care to chime in with ideas or known products are more than free to as your info is appreciated. Your information Fred is greatly appreciate. Thank you again and have a good day.
-Troy

Last edited:

1. What is a gas flow switch/sensor?

A gas flow switch/sensor is a device that is used to detect and control the flow of gas in a system. It can be used for a variety of purposes, such as monitoring gas levels, detecting leaks, and regulating gas flow.

2. What are the main features to consider when looking for a gas flow switch/sensor?

The main features to consider when looking for a gas flow switch/sensor include the type of gas it is designed to detect, the flow rate range it can handle, its accuracy and sensitivity, the compatibility with the system it will be used in, and any additional features such as alarms or digital displays.

3. What industries commonly use gas flow switches/sensors?

Gas flow switches/sensors are used in a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing, power generation, and HVAC. They are also commonly used in research and laboratory settings.

4. How do I know if a gas flow switch/sensor is compatible with my system?

It is important to carefully review the specifications and technical data of a gas flow switch/sensor to ensure compatibility with your system. You can also consult with the manufacturer or a technical expert for guidance.

5. Where can I find reliable leads for gas flow switches/sensors?

There are many suppliers and manufacturers of gas flow switches/sensors that can be found through online research or industry directories. You can also attend trade shows or conferences to network with suppliers and gather information on the latest products and technologies.