Understanding the Complex Impedance of Resistors and Capacitors

• Thread starter dionysian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: There's a little applet out there that shows this interactively if the logic still seems cloudy.In summary, impedance of a resistor and a capacitor is complex because it has an imaginary component (reactive or inductive). This results in the need to use the mathematical concept of complex numbers in order to model it. Hence, impedance is deemed complex.
dionysian
I am trying to figure out why impedence of a resistor and a capacitor is complex. I am sure it has something to do with lenzs law and and inductors resistance to changing circuits, but i am unable to follow the steps in mathmatical reasoning between lenzs law and [tex] \frac {1} {j \omega C }[/tex] for capacitors and [tex] j \omega L[/tex] for inductors.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Impedance of a resistor is real, while impedance of an inductor or capacitor is considered complex or imaginary.

It's really the relationship between voltage and current that is important to understand.

In a purely resistive ciruit, the voltage and current are in phase, while in a purely reactive circuit, the voltage and current are 90° out of phase.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/phase.html

http://www.physclips.unsw.edu.au/jw/AC.html

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph11e/accircuit.htm - nice little java applet to show the effect of resistance, capacitance and inductance.

I'm working on a tutorial in the PF tutorial section to explain this material, so please bear with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impedance is complex because it has an imaginary component (reactive or inductive). This results in the need to use the mathematical concept of complex numbers in order to model it. Hence, impedance is deemed complex.

For inductors, the voltage current relationship is

[tex]v(t)\,=\,L\frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

and if

[tex]i(t) = A \exp{j\omega{t}}[/tex]

then di(t)/dt = j[itex]\omega[/itex] A exp(j[itex]\omega[/itex]t).

Similarly for capacitors,

[tex]v(t)\,=\,\frac{1}{C}\int{i(t)\,dt[/tex]

and

[tex]\int{e^{j\omega{t}}}\,dt\,=\,\frac{1}{j\omega}{e^{j\omega{t}}}[/tex]

Thank for your reply Astronuc.

I look forward to your tutorial on this subject.

However, i didn't follow why you used [tex] i(t) = A e^{j \omega t} [/tex] for the current in your explanation. I am would suspect that it has something to do with the phaser representation of current. But i am unable to follow the reasoning why this can be done.

[tex]i(t) = A e^{j \omega t} = A\,cos\,\omega{t}\,+\,jA\,sin\,\omega{t}[/tex] is just a general expression indication a real and reactive component to the current. The same applies to the voltage.

Impedance can be real (resistance) or reactive (capacitor or inductor) and that simply refers to the relationship between voltage and current.

It's just very handy to use complex numbers to represent the behavior of AC voltage and current.

The reason is also intuitive. Since we are trying to find an equivalent "generalized resistance", we model(!) the capacitor and the inductor as a resistance which their behavior is given as a transfer function or a magnitude and phase response at each frequency. Then, using these polynomials, we can simply manipulate these dynamics to simplify, simulate,...

So, don't think like that they are naturally complex and we manipulate them accordingly (everything is real in the circuit!) , but the way we handle them, technically, requires them to be complex numbers. And the real and imaginary parts carry the information as explained above...

I've had the same original question myself that dionysian posed originally, and the way I reached an understanding is to look at the impedance of the capacitor and the inductor, both with the "j" in the numerator. So, instead of 1/(jwC), for the capacitor, I put the j on top and negate.

Impedance of inductor: jwL
Impedance of capacitor: -j[1/(wC)]

So, in this comparison an inductor provides a postive imaginary part, and a capacitor provides a negative imaginary part. Now, a positive imaginary impedance simply means that in a current sourced AC circuit, the voltage across the device will lead the current by 90 degrees in phase (inductor). A negative imaginary impedance means that the voltage will lag by 90 degrees.

Hope this helps. There's a little applet out there that shows this interactively if the logic still seems cloudy.

http://picomonster.com/Lesson%202/Lesson%202.html

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is impedence complex?

The concept of impedance being complex arises from the fact that it has both a real and an imaginary component. This is due to the presence of both resistance and reactance in a circuit. Impedance is a measure of the overall opposition to current flow in a circuit, and the presence of both resistance and reactance means that it cannot be described by a single, real value.

2. What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Impedance and resistance are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Resistance is a measure of the opposition to current flow in a circuit caused by the material properties of the components. Impedance, on the other hand, takes into account both resistance and reactance, which is the opposition to current flow caused by capacitance and inductance in the circuit.

3. How is impedence calculated?

Impedance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance (Z) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In a series circuit, impedance can be calculated by adding up the resistance and reactance values. In a parallel circuit, the total impedance is calculated using the formula 1/Z = 1/R + 1/X, where R is the resistance and X is the reactance.

4. Why is impedence important in circuit analysis?

Impedance is an important concept in circuit analysis because it helps us understand how a circuit will behave under different conditions. It allows us to calculate the current and voltage in a circuit, and also helps in determining the power dissipated by a circuit. Impedance is also used in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as it provides a more comprehensive understanding of the circuit's behavior.

5. How does impedence affect AC circuits?

In AC circuits, impedance plays a crucial role in determining the flow of current. As the frequency of the AC current changes, the reactance also changes, causing the total impedance to vary. This affects the current flow and the voltage drop in the circuit. Impedance also helps in determining the phase relationship between the voltage and current in an AC circuit, which is important in understanding the behavior of capacitors and inductors.