Heat and internal energy of gas

In summary, when an ideal diatomic gas undergoes a transition from a to c along the diagonal path in Figure 19-23, the change in internal energy is -4987 J. For the same transition, the heat added is 5013 J when taking the indirect path abc, while it is 2000 J when taking the direct path ac. This shows that the path taken affects the amount of heat added to the gas.
akoma714
One mole of an ideal diatomic gas at room temperature undergoes a transition from a to c along the diagonal path in Figure 19-23.
hrw7_19-23.gif

(a) During the transition, what is the change in internal energy of the gas?
-4987 J
(b) How much energy is added to the gas as heat?
____ J
(c) How much heat is required if the gas goes from a to c along the indirect path abc?
5013 J

I got part a and c right. I found the energies for path abc and added them together, because I couldn't find a way with path ac. Does the path I took matter for the heat? How do I find it using path ac?

Attachments

• hrw7_19-23.gif
    hrw7_19-23.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
For path ac, ##\Delta (PV)=nR\Delta T$=-2000J##. The change in internal energy is ##\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T=n\frac{5}{2}R\Delta T=\frac{5}{2}(-2000)=-5000J##

The work in going from a to c is ##\int{PdV}=7000J##, so from the first law, ##Q=\Delta U+W=-5000+7000=2000J##

Along path ab, the expansion is at constant pressure, so ##Q=\Delta H=nC_p\delta T=n\frac{7}{2}R\Delta T=\frac{7}{2}\Delta (PV)=10000=35000J##

Along path bc, the change is at constant volume, so ##Q=nC_v\Delta T=n\frac{5}{2}R\Delta T=\frac{5}{2}\Delta (PV)=\frac{5}{2}(-12000)=-30000J##

So the heat added along path abc is Q = (35000)-(30000)=5000J

So the heat added along path abc is different from that for the direct path ac. Of course, this confirms that heat added is a function of path.

1. What is the difference between heat and internal energy of gas?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects due to a difference in temperature. Internal energy, on the other hand, is the total energy of all the molecules in a substance, including both kinetic and potential energy.

2. How does heat affect the internal energy of a gas?

When heat is added to a gas, the molecules gain kinetic energy and move faster, increasing the internal energy of the gas. Conversely, when heat is removed, the molecules slow down and the internal energy decreases.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and internal energy of a gas?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a substance. Therefore, as the temperature of a gas increases, so does its internal energy.

4. How is the internal energy of a gas related to its pressure and volume?

The internal energy of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure and volume. This means that as pressure and volume increase, so does the internal energy, and vice versa.

5. Can the internal energy of a gas be changed without changing its temperature?

Yes, the internal energy of a gas can be changed without changing its temperature by adding or removing heat. This can cause a change in the internal energy of the gas, but the temperature will remain the same as long as the pressure and volume are constant.