Gasoline engine modification - ethanol fuel

In summary, The group is working on a project to convert a small motorcycle engine, specifically a Suzuki DR125S, to run on ethanol. They have not yet decided on the proportion of ethanol they will use, but are considering 85% or more. The modifications they plan to make include cleaning/changing the fuel tank, filter, gaskets, and tubes due to the corrosive nature of alcohol; increasing the carburetor's jet diameter and adding weight to the float to make the mixture richer and account for the higher density of alcohol; increasing the compression ratio to take advantage of ethanol's high octane number; and advancing the ignition timing and changing to a hotter spark plug. The group is seeking information on the chemical properties of ethanol
akueddy
Hi guys,

Im doing a group project on a conversion of a small motorcycle engine(suzuki dr125s) so that it can run on ethanol(have not decide on what proportion, maybe going to run it at 85% or more). The modifications and the reasons behind it :

1) Cleaning/changing the fuel tank,filter,gaskets and tubes - Because of the corrosive nature of alcohol.
2) Increasing the carburetor's jet diameter, add weight to float - Increasing jet diameter to make the mixture more richer because stoichiometric value of alcohol(9:1) is is lower compare with petrol. The weight of the float needs to be added because alcohol is more denser than petrol.
3) Increase compression ratio - Because ethanol+petrol = high octane number enables high compression ratio.
4) Advancing the ignition timing and change to a hotter spark plug - "Alcohol burns at a much more even rate. It is harder to ignite and requires more time to completely vaporize and burn."

First question :

On the modifications of the ignition system, I've got it from a website :

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_drane.html

Can anybody tell me what chemical properties of ethanol that makes the burning rate of alcohol different from petrol or why is it hard to ignite and needs more time to vaporise and burn?

Second question :

This motorcycle uses a magneto+CDI system. From what i understand,as the flywheel is rotating(the rotor on the magneto assembly will rotate too) a magnetic strip on the rotor will excite the pulser coil and signals will go into the CDI module.The capacitor in the CDI block will discharge 150-300volts into the primary coil(part of the ignition coil) .This will create an output of about 20000volts from the secondary coil to power the spark plug. Altering the position of the pulser coil to advance or retard ignition timing is easy but i don't have any idea change the timing curve for a CDI system. Does anyone have any idea on how to do it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I stand to be corrected, but I don't think the rate of combustion of alcohol is the reason it's harder to ignite; I imagine it's just because petrol vapourises more readily. This sometimes necessitates things like fuel pre-heaters, or (as you alluded to) hotter spark plugs.

The primary reason to advance the timing would be to take advantage of the wider knock margin you'd experience with alcohol over that of petrol.

I have no idea about your CDI system, but anything which advances the pulser coil will do the trick nicely.

Hi there,

It sounds like you are doing some interesting work on modifying a gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel. I will try my best to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Firstly, the chemical properties of ethanol that affect its burning rate and ignition are related to its molecular structure. Ethanol has a lower energy content per volume compared to gasoline, which means it takes more ethanol to produce the same amount of energy as gasoline. This is why you will need to run a higher proportion of ethanol in your engine to achieve the same power output. Ethanol also has a higher octane rating, which means it is less prone to pre-ignition or knocking, allowing for a higher compression ratio. However, ethanol also has a higher latent heat of vaporization, meaning it requires more energy to turn it from a liquid to a gas. This is why it can take longer to vaporize and burn compared to gasoline.

As for your second question, I am not an expert on motorcycle ignition systems, but from my understanding, changing the timing curve on a CDI system can be done by altering the resistance of the pulser coil. This can be achieved by either physically changing the position of the pulser coil or by adding a resistor in series with the coil. I would recommend consulting with a mechanic or an expert in motorcycle engine modifications for further guidance on this.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. Can my gasoline engine be modified to run on ethanol fuel?

Yes, it is possible to modify a gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel. It may require some adjustments to the fuel system and engine components, but it is feasible.

2. What are the benefits of converting my gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel?

Converting your gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel can have several benefits. Ethanol is a renewable fuel source, it burns cleaner than gasoline, and it can potentially reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It is also typically less expensive than gasoline.

3. Are there any drawbacks to modifying my gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel?

There are a few potential drawbacks to converting your gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel. Ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline, so you may experience a slight decrease in fuel efficiency. Additionally, ethanol can be corrosive to certain materials, so it is important to ensure that your engine is compatible with ethanol fuel.

4. Will I need to make any changes to my engine maintenance routine after converting to ethanol fuel?

Yes, it is important to make some adjustments to your engine maintenance routine after converting to ethanol fuel. Ethanol can attract and absorb water, so it is important to regularly check and replace fuel filters to prevent water buildup in the fuel system. It is also recommended to use fuel additives to prevent corrosion in the engine.

5. Is it safe to modify my gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel?

Yes, it is generally safe to modify your gasoline engine to run on ethanol fuel. Ethanol fuel is highly flammable, so it is important to take proper safety precautions when handling and storing it. It is also important to ensure that your engine is modified correctly and all necessary adjustments are made to prevent any potential safety hazards.