How much energy will be released when the meteor hits Jupiter?

In summary, a meteor with a mass of 3.4 x 10^12 kg heading straight for Jupiter will release approximately 6.8 x 10^19 J of energy upon impact. This can be calculated by comparing the gravitational potential energy of the meteor on Jupiter's surface to its energy at r=infinity, using the formula W = -\frac{GMm}{r}. Alternatively, the escape velocity can be used in the kinetic energy equation to find the same result.
odie5533

Homework Statement

A meteor of mass about 3.4 x 10^12 kg is heading straight for Jupiter. When it hits there will be a huge release of energy, visible her on earth. Assuming it has fallen from far away, how much energy will be released when it hits Jupiter? The radius of Jupiter is 7 x 10^7 m and its mass is 1.9 x 10^27 kg.
A) 3.4 x 10&19 J
B) 5.8 x 10^18 J
C) 5.4 x 10^22 J
D) 6.8 x 10^19 J
E) 6.1 x 10^21 J

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm somewhat lost as to how to approach this problem. When I've worked with energies, it has always involved velocity. In the chapter on gravitation in my text I only found mention of gravitational potential energy, [tex]U = -\frac{Gm_{e}m}{r}[/tex], but I don't have the distance between the masses. I'm guessing the collision would be inelastic, but I'm not sure how that helps. I can only think of ways of solving this if I'm given the velocity of the asteroid. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
After looking it over again, I think maybe I could use an integral.
[tex]W_{grav} = -Gm_{e}m\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}\frac{dr}{r^2}[/tex]
That is listed in our text.
So maybe...
[tex]W_{grav} = -Gm_{e}m\int_{\infty}^{0}\frac{dr}{r^2}[/tex]
I don't think that's at all right. Just thinking aloud

If anyone has any ideas, any at all, please share. I'm turning this in completed or not in a few minutes. =/

Last edited:
Compare the gravitational potential energy of the meteor on Jupiter's surface with it's energy at r=infinity (where U=0). You don't need to integrate anything.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Compare the gravitational potential energy of the meteor on Jupiter's surface with it's energy at r=infinity (where U=0). You don't need to integrate anything.
I asked my physics prof before class and he said to use the escape velocity in the kinetic energy equation:

[tex]V = \sqrt{\frac{2GM_{J}}{R_{J}}}[/tex]
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}MV^2 = \frac{1}{2}M\frac{2GM_{J}}{R_{J}} = \frac{GMM_{J}}{R_{J}}[/tex]

Your way works better, and is easier to understand. Thanks :)

odie5533 said:
I asked my physics prof before class and he said to use the escape velocity in the kinetic energy equation:

[tex]V = \sqrt{\frac{2GM_{J}}{R_{J}}}[/tex]
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}MV^2 = \frac{1}{2}M\frac{2GM_{J}}{R_{J}} = \frac{GMM_{J}}{R_{J}}[/tex]

Your way works better, and is easier to understand. Thanks :)

Sure. But it's the same thing. The calculation of escape velocity comes from potential energy. Which in turn is also the same thing as the integral you proposed earlier. Integrating the force over distance gives you the potential.

1. How does a meteor impact generate energy?

A meteor impact generates energy through the release of kinetic energy as it collides with the Earth's surface. This impact also creates shock waves that can generate intense heat and pressure, further adding to the energy released.

2. How does the size of the meteor affect the energy of impact?

The size of the meteor directly affects the energy of impact. The larger the meteor, the greater the mass and velocity, resulting in a higher energy impact. A smaller meteor will have less mass and velocity, resulting in a lower energy impact.

3. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy in a meteor impact?

Potential energy is the energy that is stored in the meteor before impact, while kinetic energy is the energy it possesses while in motion. As the meteor falls towards the Earth, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is then released upon impact.

4. Can a meteor impact produce more energy than a nuclear bomb?

Yes, it is possible for a meteor impact to produce more energy than a nuclear bomb. The energy released during a meteor impact can range from the equivalent of a few tons of TNT to millions of tons, depending on the size of the meteor. In comparison, the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated was equivalent to about 50 megatons of TNT.

5. How does the angle of impact affect the energy released?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the energy released during a meteor impact. A direct, perpendicular impact will result in the most energy being transferred to the Earth's surface. However, if the meteor strikes at a shallow angle, much of its energy will be directed away from the impact site, resulting in less energy being released.