Replace Monitor: How to Choose the Right LCD

• Thread starter pit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, for a CRT, you want to look for contrast ratio, resolution, response time, and size. For an LCD, you want brightness, resolution, contrast ratio, response time, and size.
pit
I need to replace my monitor. I'll choose a lcd but I don't understand all the features. Which one is most important ? how to choose it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ideally you want a CRT but if you must be pagan and wish to purchase an LCD, then you need to look for contrast ratio, size, resolution, response time, etc.

It depends specifically on what you want. What would you use the monitor for?

Why would you want a CRT over an LCD? I would personally prefer the LCD.

Here is a site with some general comparisons...

http://www.touchscreens.com/intro-displaytech.html

Last edited by a moderator:
stewartcs said:
Why would you want a CRT over an LCD? I would personally prefer the LCD.

Here is a site with some general comparisons...

http://www.touchscreens.com/intro-displaytech.html

CRTs are still superior by far over LCD screens, in terms of more or less everything but size, power usage, and the slight advantages digital transmission gives. Even your link acknowledges it. In short, CRTs are great if you want something that functions to the best extent and don't mind aesthetics & efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
dst said:
CRTs are still superior by far over LCD screens, in terms of more or less everything but size, power usage, and the slight advantages digital transmission gives. Even your link acknowledges it. In short, CRTs are great if you want something that functions to the best extent and don't mind aesthetics & efficiency.

Smaller size, less power, digital transmission, aesthetics...I would prefer these any day over not having them!

All of those things, to me at least, make the LCD superior.

stewartcs said:
Smaller size, less power, digital transmission, aesthetics...I would prefer these any day over not having them!

All of those things, to me at least, make the LCD superior.

I prefer brightness, resolution, contrast ratio, response time (especially), refresh rates, and so on. The better the image, the more I want it, and I couldn't care less as to anything else. I prefer something purely functional, i.e. do one thing and do it well.

I would have to say that contrast ratio and response time are the two most important when it comes to the quality of the images displayed. With computer gaming, it's all about response time. How quickly one pixel can shift from one color to the next. Have a response time that is too high and you'll begin to notice ghosting if you 'look around' fast enough. I moved up from a 17" CRT to a 22" widescreen LCD. Since I'm a gamer, the difference in response time is noticable, but tolerable. I only really notice it when I'm looking for it anyway. The majority of mid-sized LCDs are 5ms which is good. My ASUS MW221U is proclaimed as being able to synthesize a 2ms response time with it's Splendid technology, but to me it still feels like regular of 5ms... which actually isn't too shabby for a 22" widescreen display anyway.

I think that the overall size of the monitor that your looking for would pretty much dictate the recommended resolution as most LCDs look best at their native resolutions... it seems to keep the overall size of the display lettering at a good ratio with the overall monitor size its self.

Since I don't have a lot of space or depth for a huge 22" or 24" CRT monitor, LCDs have become the best compromise for me. Even though I'm personally biased towards LCDs, I have to agree with dst on at least one part... you can-not beat the image quality. Hands down. LCD technology has a long way to go to even begin to compare.

But, that's just my 2cents.

dst said:
It depends specifically on what you want. What would you use the monitor for?

Movies and internet. Only for these two things.

1. What is an LCD monitor and why should I replace it?

An LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitor is a type of display screen commonly used in computers, laptops, and TVs. It uses liquid crystals to create images, making it more energy-efficient and thinner compared to traditional CRT monitors. You should replace your LCD monitor if it is damaged, malfunctioning, or outdated.

2. How do I know which size LCD monitor to choose?

The size of an LCD monitor is measured diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. To choose the right size, consider the available space on your desk and your personal preferences. A larger monitor can provide a better viewing experience, but it may also be more expensive.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing an LCD monitor?

Aside from size, you should also consider the resolution, refresh rate, response time, and connectivity options of an LCD monitor. The resolution determines the clarity of the images, while the refresh rate and response time affect the smoothness and responsiveness of the screen. The connectivity options determine how you can connect the monitor to your computer or other devices.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in an LCD monitor?

Some features that you may want to look for in an LCD monitor include a high contrast ratio, wide viewing angle, and adjustable stand. A high contrast ratio can provide more vibrant and accurate colors, while a wide viewing angle allows you to view the screen from different positions without losing image quality. An adjustable stand can also improve your viewing experience and comfort.

5. How do I ensure that the LCD monitor I choose is of good quality?

To ensure that you are choosing a high-quality LCD monitor, do some research on the brand and read reviews from other users. You can also check the warranty and return policy of the monitor to have a backup plan in case you encounter any issues. Lastly, buy from a reputable retailer to ensure that you are getting a genuine and reliable product.