Electrons qualifying as dark matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothesis about dark matter being made up of electrons stripped from matter falling into black holes. The author also asks questions about the interaction of electron clouds with photons and the observed spherical shape of dark matter in galaxies. However, the validity of this hypothesis is questioned and it is explained that dark matter must be electrically neutral and cannot form discs like ordinary matter due to its inability to dissipate energy. The topic of unverified and speculative theories is not allowed on this forum.
patrickwilson
I have just encountered an interesting hypothesis on the nature of dark matter. The author proposes that electrons, stripped from matter falling into black holes, comprises dark matter. THis is my first post, so I respectfully ask two questions:

-How would electron clouds interact with photons? In other words, would such a cloud really be "dark"?

- Secondly, I have read that dark matter seems to be a spherical region around the discs of galaxies. How can one explain this shape if dark matter has a gravitational effect? Rotation would be a problem, and if it is just an unstructured cloud but there is 5 times as much of it as baryonic matter, why wouldn't it collapse or exert huge pressure at its centre?

[link to unverified personal theory removed - Zz.]

Thanks for any attention that this gets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
patrickwilson said:
I have just encountered an interesting hypothesis on the nature of dark matter. The author proposes that electrons, stripped from matter falling into black holes, comprises dark matter. THis is my first post, so I respectfully ask two questions:

-How would electron clouds interact with photons? In other words, would such a cloud really be "dark"?

- Secondly, I have read that dark matter seems to be a spherical region around the discs of galaxies. How can one explain this shape if dark matter has a gravitational effect? Rotation would be a problem, and if it is just an unstructured cloud but there is 5 times as much of it as baryonic matter, why wouldn't it collapse or exert huge pressure at its centre?Thanks for any attention that this gets.
The most theories says that black hole open way to new realem.If its true it can hold by the realem it create.And it will not colapse beacouse,when universe start to form it form in one way,that way makes harmony and dark matter or black holes are part of it.

patrickwilson said:
I have just encountered an interesting hypothesis on the nature of dark matter. The author proposes that electrons, stripped from matter falling into black holes, comprises dark matter.

Hi Patrick, and welcome to PF.
First I would like to say that the author is actually proposing that the electrons explain the "dark energy", not the "dark matter". In any case, the text is an amateur work, and nothing you should spend time trying to understand. In just a couple of minutes I found a number of severe misunderstandings in it.

Anyway, you raise some good questions about "dark matter" which I will try to explain shortly:

You're definitely on the right track here. Since electrons are electrically charged, they would indeed be able to substantially interact with photons, and could hence not make up any "dark matter". "Dark matter" particles must electrically neutral, couse otherwise they wouldn't be "dark".

- Secondly, I have read that dark matter seems to be a spherical region around the discs of galaxies. How can one explain this shape if dark matter has a gravitational effect? Rotation would be a problem, and if it is just an unstructured cloud but there is 5 times as much of it as baryonic matter, why wouldn't it collapse or exert huge pressure at its centre?
Baryonic (i.e. ordinary) matter can dissipate energy by emitting electromagnetic radiation (i.e. photons), something "dark matter" on the other hand cannot do (since it's "dark"). Therefore, baryonic and dark matter will distribute themselves differently in a galaxy. Only particles which can "radiate away" some energy will be able to form "discs".

Last edited:
Please review the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374", especially and speculative theory, be it by someone here, or someone out there in cyberland. While we acknowledge that in some cases, there can be some "educational value" in discussing why such-and-such crackpot theory is wrong, we have decided to let that avenue be pursued by other forums, not PF.

Thus, such topic is not allowed here. If someone wish to pursue it further, the only place this will be considered would be the IR forum, as clearly stated in the guidelines.

Zz.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter refers to the hypothetical type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How do electrons qualify as dark matter?

Electrons can only qualify as dark matter if they have the properties of dark matter, such as being electrically neutral and not interacting with light. Some theories propose that a certain type of electron, called a sterile neutrino, could be a candidate for dark matter.

3. What evidence supports the idea of electrons as dark matter?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that electrons are a form of dark matter. However, some theories, such as the sterile neutrino theory, suggest that electrons could potentially fulfill the properties of dark matter. Further research and observations are needed to confirm this idea.

4. How would electrons as dark matter affect our understanding of the universe?

If electrons were confirmed as a type of dark matter, it would greatly enhance our understanding of the universe. It would provide insight into the structure and evolution of galaxies, as well as the overall composition and dynamics of the universe. It could also potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies.

5. How are scientists currently studying and searching for evidence of electrons as dark matter?

Scientists are using various methods to search for evidence of electrons as dark matter. This includes analyzing data from particle accelerators, conducting astronomical observations, and studying the effects of dark matter on the rotation of galaxies. Ongoing research and experiments are essential for further understanding and potentially confirming the role of electrons in dark matter.