Calculating Heat & Work Done in Ice to Vapour System

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of heating a bowl containing 1 mol of ice at -10C and atmospheric pressure to 115C. The process is split into five phases and the question asks for the amount of heat consumed and work done during each phase, as well as the changes in internal energy and Gibbs function. The speaker is unsure about how to calculate the work done during each phase, but realizes that it involves using the equation U = Q - W and considering changes in volume. However, they are not sure how to calculate the volume changes and are considering neglecting them, except for during phase transitions. The other person in the conversation suggests using dW = PdV for constant pressure and calculating dW = P (
ZeroScope
I realize that there has been a post recently concerning this sort of thing but i think it went a bit off topic for me to follow. :)
The question is Consider a bowl containing 1 mol of ice at a temperature of -10C and atmospheric pressure. The sample
is heated very slowly to 115C. Split the process into five characteristic phases. How much heat is
consumed and work done during each of the phases? What changes occur in internal energy and in the
Gibbs function during the entire process?

All specific heats are given and latent heats as well as being told to neglect entropy changes apart from during phase transition.

I know the five stages Ice (-10) - Ice (0) - Water (0) etc. and i can work out the amount of heat at each stage using the (mass) . (specific heat) . (Change in temp), and (mass) x (latent heat) for the constant temp. stages. What i don't understand is working out the work done during each phase. I think i need to use U = Q - W and then calculate U and then hence forth calculate W but I am not sure if this is right or even how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry just realized that the last part of the question asks for the overall change in internal energy so I am not sure whether my approach holds

ZeroScope said:
All specific heats are given and latent heats as well as being told to neglect entropy changes apart from during phase transition.

Are you sure? The entropy changes are massive at each stage because you are adding heat. It would be much more sensible to neglect the volume changes except for the phase transitions.

What i don't understand is working out the work done during each phase. I think i need to use U = Q - W and then calculate U and then hence forth calculate W but I am not sure if this is right or even how to do it.

Since the pressure is constant, the work done by the system on the surroundings is
just dW = PdV. For the phase transitions, you just calculate the change in volume of the system (here the water or ice) and multiply by the pressure. For the other stages, each
infinitesimal change in temperature, dT, results in work done in the amount
dW =P (dV/dT) dT, so you need to know (dV/dT) for ice, water, and water vapour over the appropriate temperature range of each stage---that is why I suspect you are being told to neglect this, at least in stages 1 and 3. (you know what the volume change is on melting ice and on boiling water, and you know how to estimate this from the equation of state for the gas.)

1. How do you calculate the heat required to melt ice into water?

The heat required to melt ice into water can be calculated using the formula Q = m * L, where Q is the heat required, m is the mass of ice, and L is the latent heat of fusion for ice. The latent heat of fusion for ice is 334 kJ/kg.

2. What is the formula for calculating the heat needed to vaporize water?

The formula for calculating the heat needed to vaporize water is Q = m * Lv, where Q is the heat required, m is the mass of water, and Lv is the latent heat of vaporization for water. The latent heat of vaporization for water is 2257 kJ/kg.

3. How do you calculate the total heat required to convert ice into water vapor?

The total heat required to convert ice into water vapor is calculated by adding the heat needed to melt ice and the heat needed to vaporize water. This can be expressed as Q = m * L + m * Lv.

4. What is the relationship between heat and work in an ice to vapor system?

In an ice to vapor system, heat is required to convert the ice into water and then into vapor. Work is the energy used to move molecules from one state to another. Therefore, in this system, work is done by the heat energy to convert the ice into water and then into vapor.

5. How can you determine the efficiency of a heat to work conversion in an ice to vapor system?

The efficiency of a heat to work conversion in an ice to vapor system can be determined by calculating the ratio of the work done to the amount of heat supplied. This can be expressed as efficiency = work done / heat supplied.