How Can Symplectic Eigenvector Normalization Influence Hamiltonian Forms?

In summary: Q_j P_j, we can simply plug in the expression for \vec{\varsigma} in terms of \vec{q} and \vec{p} into the original Hamiltonian, H=\frac{1}{2}\vec{\varsigma}K\vec{\varsigma}. This gives us: H=\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix} \vec{q} \\ \vec{p} \end{bmatrix} K \begin{bmatrix} \vec{q} \\ \vec{p} \end{bmatrix} = \frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix} \vec{q} \\ \
jarra
The Hamiltonian, [tex]H=\frac{1}{2}\vec{\varsigma}K\vec{\varsigma}[/tex] is given.

With K being a [tex] 2n \times 2n[/tex] matrix with the entries: [tex] \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & \tau \\
\vartheta & 0\end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

and [tex]\vec{\varsigma}[/tex] being a 2n-dimensional vector with entries: [tex]\vec{\varsigma}=[\vec q,\vec p]^T[/tex] with [tex]\vec q[/tex] and [tex]\vec p[/tex] being n-dimensional consisting of the generalized coordinates and generalized momenta respectively.
To this there is a matrix M whose columns are eigenvectors of the matrix JK with J being the matrix:
[tex] \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
-1 & 0\end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

The corresponding eigenvalues to the eigenvectors are [tex]\pm \omega_j[/tex] .

My problem is: ``For all eigenvalues [tex]\omega_j[/tex] being distinct show that the normalization of the eigenvectors can be chosen in such a way that M has the properties of the Jacobian matrix.''

Another problem is to show that after this canonical transformation the new Hamiltonian, K, takes the form [tex]K=i \sum_{j=1}^n \omega_j Q_j P_j[/tex]

There should also be an ansatz putting [tex]\varsigma_j = \varsigma_0 e^{i\omega_j t}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution: Let us begin by noting that the matrix K is a real, symmetric matrix and hence has an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors. Let us denote the eigenvectors by \vec{v_1}, \vec{v_2}, ..., \vec{v_{2n}}, with corresponding eigenvalues \lambda_1, \lambda_2, ..., \lambda_{2n}. We can construct the matrix M whose columns are eigenvectors of the matrix JK as follows: First, note that JK = \tau \vartheta J, so we can write JK \vec{v_i} = \lambda_i \vec{v_i}, where \vec{v_i} is an eigenvector of JK with eigenvalue \lambda_i. Next, we can normalize the eigenvectors to make them unitary, i.e., by dividing each vector by its length, so that \vec{v_i} = \frac{\vec{v_i}}{\|\vec{v_i}\|}. We can then construct the matrix M whose columns are eigenvectors of JK by stacking the normalized eigenvectors in a column-wise fashion, as follows: M = \begin{bmatrix} \frac{\vec{v_1}}{\|\vec{v_1}\|} & \frac{\vec{v_2}}{\|\vec{v_2}\|} & \cdots & \frac{\vec{v_{2n}}}{\|\vec{v_{2n}}\|} \\ \end{bmatrix}. Now, since the eigenvalues \omega_j are all distinct, it follows that the eigenvectors \vec{v_i} are also all distinct. Thus, the normalized eigenvectors \frac{\vec{v_i}}{\|\vec{v_i}\|} are also all distinct, and thus the matrix M has the properties of the Jacobian matrix. To show that after this canonical transformation the new Hamiltonian, K, takes the form K

I would first clarify the problem by restating it in simpler terms:

Given a Hamiltonian, H, with a matrix K and a vector \vec{\varsigma}, we need to show that the eigenvectors of the matrix JK can be normalized in a specific way to make the matrix M have the properties of a Jacobian matrix. Additionally, we need to show that after this transformation, the new Hamiltonian, K, takes a specific form.

To solve this problem, we can use the properties of symplectic notation and the definition of a Jacobian matrix. The symplectic notation is a mathematical framework used to describe dynamical systems, particularly in Hamiltonian mechanics. It involves using a set of coordinates and momenta to represent the state of a system, similar to the \vec{\varsigma} vector in this problem.

We can start by considering the matrix M, which is composed of eigenvectors of JK. Since the eigenvalues are distinct, the eigenvectors are linearly independent and can be normalized to form an orthonormal basis. This means that the columns of M can be chosen to be orthogonal unit vectors, satisfying the properties of a Jacobian matrix.

Next, we need to show that after this transformation, the new Hamiltonian, K, takes the form K=i \sum_{j=1}^n \omega_j Q_j P_j. To do this, we can use the ansatz given in the problem, \varsigma_j = \varsigma_0 e^{i\omega_j t}. This ansatz represents a harmonic oscillation with a frequency of \omega_j. Plugging this into the Hamiltonian, we get:

H=\frac{1}{2}\vec{\varsigma}K\vec{\varsigma}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=1}^n \varsigma_j K \varsigma_j=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=1}^n \varsigma_0^2 \omega_j^2 K=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=1}^n \omega_j^2 \varsigma_0^2 K

Using the definition of K given in the problem, we can rewrite this as:

H=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=1}^n \omega_j^2 \varsigma_0^2 \left( \begin{array}{

1. What is symplectic notation?

Symplectic notation is a mathematical notation used in the field of symplectic geometry to describe the dynamics of systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It is a concise way of representing the position and momentum variables of a system and is commonly used in the study of Hamiltonian mechanics.

2. How is symplectic notation different from other notations?

Symplectic notation is unique in that it combines the position and momentum variables of a system into a single object, known as a symplectic vector. This allows for a more elegant and compact representation of the system's dynamics compared to other notations, which treat position and momentum separately.

3. What is the purpose of using symplectic notation?

The main purpose of using symplectic notation is to simplify the mathematical analysis of systems with multiple degrees of freedom. By representing the system in terms of symplectic vectors, complex calculations involving multiple variables can be reduced to simpler operations on a single object.

4. How is symplectic notation applied in physics?

Symplectic notation is commonly used in physics, particularly in the study of Hamiltonian mechanics and classical mechanics. It is also used in quantum mechanics, where it is known as the Heisenberg picture, to describe the evolution of a system over time.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using symplectic notation?

While symplectic notation is a powerful tool for simplifying mathematical analysis, it may not be the most intuitive notation for beginners. It also has limitations in its applicability, as it is primarily used in the study of conservative systems and may not be suitable for systems with dissipative forces or non-conservative dynamics.