Exploring the Wave Phenomenon in Physics

In summary: This is what we call a wave because it's the result of a disturbance in the medium. In the case of physical objects, the medium is usually a fluid (like water or air). The reason waves exist is because the medium is capable of storing and releasing energy in a way that is governed by the laws of physics. This is why waves are a common phenomenon in many fields of science, like electromagnetism and heat.However, there's one important thing to keep in mind when studying waves: they're not the only type of movement
Fact is there is no probability as we generally know it...under certain circumstances there is just one result... In quantum physics , on the other hand, it has a more...unique meaning... personally I join the club of those who say it is ******** that is only growing bigger and bigger...maybe not ******** but not the right way to be "politically correct"...But even though it has gaping holes, at least quantum physics tries to explain things that were once...and still are just "the way things are"...Damn it I hate those words!...One way or the other, humanity will find the way forward as they have always done...and by humanity I mean mathematicians...and by mathematicians I mean anyone that isn't wasting his time..his life on ********...and by forward...I have been looking at the Poincare Theorem (not a conjecture anymore ha!ha!) and while I still lack the mathematical skill to really understand it ( obviously, since no one else except Perelman seems to do...it has taken them 8 bloody years to give him the M Prize!...so I guess I have an easy way out ), my guess is it should explain why we seem to asociate pretty much everything to a wave and what they really are...But it's easy to say that Ricci derivatives could have been used to explain it eons ago when you can' t actually prove it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Could matter be said to be made of standing waves?

OLD Thread?

<h2>1. What is a wave in physics?</h2><p>A wave in physics is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and time, transferring energy from one point to another without causing any net movement of matter. It can be described by its amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed.</p><h2>2. What are the different types of waves in physics?</h2><p>There are two main types of waves in physics: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, such as sound waves or water waves. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, such as light waves or radio waves.</p><h2>3. How do waves interact with matter?</h2><p>When a wave encounters matter, it can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. Reflection occurs when the wave bounces off the surface of the material. Transmission happens when the wave passes through the material. Absorption occurs when the energy of the wave is transferred to the material, causing it to vibrate.</p><h2>4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a wave?</h2><p>The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: c = λf, where c is the speed of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.</p><h2>5. How is the wave phenomenon used in everyday life?</h2><p>The wave phenomenon is used in many everyday applications, such as communication technology (radio, television, and cell phones), medical imaging (ultrasound and MRI), and cooking (microwaves). It is also essential in understanding natural phenomena, such as earthquakes, ocean waves, and sound waves.</p>

1. What is a wave in physics?

A wave in physics is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and time, transferring energy from one point to another without causing any net movement of matter. It can be described by its amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed.

2. What are the different types of waves in physics?

There are two main types of waves in physics: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, such as sound waves or water waves. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, such as light waves or radio waves.

3. How do waves interact with matter?

When a wave encounters matter, it can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. Reflection occurs when the wave bounces off the surface of the material. Transmission happens when the wave passes through the material. Absorption occurs when the energy of the wave is transferred to the material, causing it to vibrate.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a wave?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: c = λf, where c is the speed of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

5. How is the wave phenomenon used in everyday life?

The wave phenomenon is used in many everyday applications, such as communication technology (radio, television, and cell phones), medical imaging (ultrasound and MRI), and cooking (microwaves). It is also essential in understanding natural phenomena, such as earthquakes, ocean waves, and sound waves.