Can isomorophisms be really random?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of isomorphisms, with a focus on defining the function f as an isomorphism and determining if it satisfies the properties of one. The speaker also questions the use of the term "random" and the distinction between numbers greater than and equal to 1 in the definition of f. They also suggest that the function must fit the definition of isomorphism and ask if the other person knows what that is.
pivoxa15
Can isomorophisms be really random? i.e Let f be an isomorphism and f is the operation of division if the number in the domain is bigger than 1 and multiply if it's equal to or greater then one.

Is the function f okay? It's as if 'f' can see the number before it operates on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you meen isomorphisms ?

if you do then:

you say:

Let f be an isomorphism

then you try to define it? That doesn't make sense to me, and what does 'f is the operation of division' meen, what spaces does f goes from to, and division with what?

When you say isomorophisms it's importent what spaces you are talking about. Fx. vector spaces you want linear bijections, metric vector spaces you wan't linear bijections that are also isometric etc.

pivoxa15 said:
Can isomorophisms be really random? i.e Let f be an isomorphism and f is the operation of division if the number in the domain is bigger than 1 and multiply if it's equal to or greater then one.

Is the function f okay? It's as if 'f' can see the number before it operates on it.

I can't make any sense out of this. In the first place, isomorphisms in general are not from sets of numbers and so "the number in the domain is bigger than 1" makes no sense. In the second place, I don't see how you can say "let f be an isomorphism" and then define f. What you would need to do is define f first, then determine whether it really is an isomorphism- by seeing if it satisfies the properties of an isomorphism. Finally, I don't see why you are making a distinction between "bigger than 1" and "equal to or greater than one". What would you do if a number were less than 1?

By "random" are you asking if you can just define a function any way you want and it will be an isomorphism? Certainly not! It would have to fit the definition of "isomorphism". Do you know what that is?

1. What are isomorphisms?

Isomorphisms are mathematical functions that preserve the structure and properties of a mathematical object, such as a group, ring, or vector space.

2. How can isomorphisms be random?

Isomorphisms cannot be random in the strict sense, as they are defined by specific mathematical properties. However, their application and use in different contexts can appear random to those unfamiliar with the underlying mathematical principles.

3. Can isomorphisms be used to generate truly random numbers?

No, isomorphisms cannot be used to generate truly random numbers. While they may appear random, they are based on predictable mathematical properties and therefore cannot produce truly random outcomes.

4. Are isomorphisms useful in practical applications?

Yes, isomorphisms have many practical applications in various fields, including computer science, physics, and chemistry. They are used to study and understand the relationships between different mathematical structures.

5. Can isomorphisms be manipulated or controlled?

Isomorphisms are mathematical functions and can therefore be manipulated and controlled through mathematical operations. However, their underlying properties and relationships cannot be changed or controlled.