Proof ε-δ: Epsilon Delta Proof of lim x->a of ((3x²-3a²)/(x-a)) = 6a

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with a problem and wanting a critical eye to ensure it is perfect. The problem is to give an ε-δ proof of lim x->a of ((3x²-3a²)/(x-a)) = 6a. The summary also includes a correction to the proof, suggesting to let d = e/3 to solve the problem.
Dani4941
I’m going to say from the beginning that I need to hand this problem in. I'm not looking for the answer, I think I already have it, just want a critical eye.

I need someone to look over this problem and tell me if it's good. Not just if it's right but if it's perfect. I always get the problem right then get minus points because I didn't explain it enough.

So here it is

Give an ε-δ proof of
lim x->a of ((3x²-3a²)/(x-a)) = 6a

Proof: Note |f(x) – a| = |f(x) – 6a| = | (3x²-3a²-6ax-6a²)/(x-a) | = | (3(x²-2ax+a²)/(x-a)) | = |3x-3a|

|3x-3a|<ε (get rid of 3 to make it smaller) |x-a|<ε when |x-a|<δ let δ=ε

Given ε>δ let δ=ε

0<|x-a|<δ then
|f(x) – a| = |3x-3a|<δ=ε

Therefore
lim x->a of ((3x²-3a²)/(x-a)) = 6a

Physics news on Phys.org
What you really need to say is let d = e/3
Then you get |x-a|<d ==> |3x-3a|< 3*d =e, which is what you needed.
Up to there it was fine though

ooo Thanks. That was a pretty large mistake.

What is the concept of epsilon-delta proof?

The epsilon-delta proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the limit of a function. It involves choosing an arbitrary small value (epsilon) and finding a corresponding small interval (delta) around the limit point where the function values are within epsilon of the limit.

Why is the epsilon-delta proof important?

The epsilon-delta proof is important because it provides a rigorous and formal way to prove limits. It is used in many areas of mathematics, particularly in calculus and analysis, to prove theorems and make mathematical arguments.

How is the epsilon-delta proof used to prove the given limit?

In the given limit, we have to show that for any epsilon greater than 0, there exists a delta greater than 0 such that whenever the distance between x and a is less than delta, the distance between f(x) and 6a is less than epsilon. We can manipulate the expression for f(x) to find a suitable value for delta in terms of epsilon, thus proving the limit.

What are the key steps in an epsilon-delta proof?

The key steps in an epsilon-delta proof are: 1) Start with the definition of the limit and choose an arbitrary small value for epsilon. 2) Manipulate the expression for the function to find a suitable value for delta in terms of epsilon. 3) Show that whenever the distance between x and a is less than delta, the distance between f(x) and the limit is less than epsilon. 4) Use algebraic or geometric arguments to prove the final result.

Are there any limitations to the epsilon-delta proof?

Yes, the epsilon-delta proof can be quite technical and difficult to understand for beginners. It also requires a deep understanding of the concepts involved and can be time-consuming. Additionally, it can only be used to prove limits and not all mathematical theorems.