Help with Translating English to Predicate Logic

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of translating an argument from English into PL and showing its deductive validity through constructing a PL derivation. The statement in question explores the philosophical schools of realism and antirealism and presents the indispensability argument for mathematical realism. This argument is simplified into a series of principles and the conversation focuses on the rationality of believing in the truth of existential assertions about mathematical objects. The final conclusion is that it is rational to believe in the truth of at least some existential assertions about mathematical objects, based on the highly confirmed status of our best scientific theories.
LUMS2010
I have been asked to translate an argument from english into PL and show deductive validity through constructing a PL derivation. I have no problem constructing the derivation but this is the first time I have had to translate from English into PL. I am stuck and any help would be greatly appreciated. The only clue that I have is that there is somehow a hidden premise, what it is I don't know but I don't think that the statement will be deductively valid without this 'hidden' premise. Here is the English statement:

There are two main philosophical schools about the nature of mathematical objects:1
realism and antirealism. Although adherents of each school subscribe to a variety of
positions, they share a common core. Mathematical realists are unified in their conviction that it is rational (for us) to believe in the (literal) truth of at least some existential assertions about mathematical objects.2 Antirealists, on the other hand, do not accept the (literal) truth of such assertions. Perhaps, the most prominent argument for mathematical realism is called the indispensability argument. Here is a simplified version of this argument. There are two principles of rationality that seem self-evident. First, it is rational to believe in the truth of any assertion that forms an indispensable component of a highly confirmed theory. Second, it is rational to believe in the truth of a theory only if it is rational to believe in the truth of any assertion implied by the theory. Now, it is clear that each of our best scientific theories (such as general relativity and quantum mechanics) incorporates at least one mathematical theory as an indispensable part of it. It is also clear that all mathematical theories imply existential assertions about mathematical objects. Given the obvious fact that our best scientific theories are highly confirmed, it follows that it is rational to believe in the truth of at least some existential assertions about mathematical objects.

Physics news on Phys.org
P1: It is rational to believe in the truth of any assertion that forms an indispensable component of a highly confirmed theory.P2: It is rational to believe in the truth of a theory only if it is rational to believe in the truth of any assertion implied by the theory.P3: Our best scientific theories incorporate at least one mathematical theory as an indispensable part of it.P4: All mathematical theories imply existential assertions about mathematical objects.P5: Our best scientific theories are highly confirmed.C: It is rational to believe in the truth of at least some existential assertions about mathematical objects.P1 → (P2 & P3 & P4 & P5) (P2 & P3 & P4 & P5) → C

1. What is Predicate Logic?

Predicate Logic is a type of mathematical logic that deals with statements that can be classified as either true or false. It uses symbols and formal rules to represent relationships between objects and concepts, making it useful for formalizing and analyzing arguments.

2. How do I translate English sentences into Predicate Logic?

To translate English sentences into Predicate Logic, you first need to identify the subject, verb, and object in the sentence. Then, you can use symbols such as quantifiers, variables, and logical operators to represent the relationships between these elements. It is important to pay attention to the meaning and context of the sentence to accurately translate it into Predicate Logic.

3. What are the benefits of using Predicate Logic?

Predicate Logic allows for precise and rigorous reasoning, making it useful for fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. It also enables the detection of logical fallacies and inconsistencies in arguments, making it a valuable tool for critical thinking.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when translating English to Predicate Logic?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when translating English to Predicate Logic. One is using the wrong quantifier, such as using "for all" instead of "there exists" or vice versa. Another is misrepresenting the relationships between objects and concepts, which can lead to incorrect conclusions. It is important to carefully analyze the meaning and structure of the English sentence before translating it into Predicate Logic.

5. Can Predicate Logic be translated back into English?

Yes, Predicate Logic can be translated back into English. However, it is important to note that the English translation may not always capture the full meaning and precision of the original Predicate Logic statement. This is because Predicate Logic relies on symbols and formal rules that may not have direct equivalents in English.