BA Mathematics to Ph.D engineering?

In summary, it is possible to go into a PhD program in nuclear engineering with an undergraduate education in mathematics. However, it may require some additional work depending on the specific program and specialization. Additionally, having a math major may provide an advantage in certain areas of engineering. Overall, there are still many possibilities and opportunities available for someone with a background in mathematics.
andrassy
Im studying mathematics as an undergraduate. I don't know what I want to do so I am just looking into options for my future. is it at all possible to go into a phd program in,say, nuclear engineering, with undergraduate education only in mathematics? I saw a few programs that seems to think that was okay but will it be a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Maybe it entails more work than coming from other backgrounds, depending on what you choose to do. But it can be done.

I agree with the previous poster. Going from math/physics into engineering is a pretty common thing. Depending which engineering program you choose, you may have to take a few undergrad classes to fill in the gaps, but it isn't bad. Also, some of the more specific fields (e.g. nuclear) as well as the more interdisciplinary fields (e.g. materials) usually expect people from vastly different backgrounds, so in this case you would be set.Also, depending on what you specialize in, you may have an advantage with your math major (e.g. computational mechanics (ME), signal processing (EE)).

cmos said:
I agree with the previous poster. Going from math/physics into engineering is a pretty common thing. Depending which engineering program you choose, you may have to take a few undergrad classes to fill in the gaps, but it isn't bad. Also, some of the more specific fields (e.g. nuclear) as well as the more interdisciplinary fields (e.g. materials) usually expect people from vastly different backgrounds, so in this case you would be set.

Also, depending on what you specialize in, you may have an advantage with your math major (e.g. computational mechanics (ME), signal processing (EE)).
great that's good to know. as i said i really have no idea what I want to do, but I've always had an interest in these sorts of things so its good to know the possibilities are still out there

1. How can a mathematics degree be applied to engineering?

Mathematics is the foundation of engineering, and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques is essential for solving complex engineering problems. A mathematics degree provides a strong mathematical background that can be applied to various areas of engineering, such as computer science, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering.

2. Can I pursue a Ph.D in engineering with a mathematics background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Ph.D in engineering with a mathematics background. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students to combine their mathematics expertise with engineering research. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics can make you a valuable asset in the engineering field.

3. What are the specific areas of engineering that a mathematics degree can be useful in?

A mathematics degree can be useful in various areas of engineering, including but not limited to computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering. Mathematics is a fundamental tool in all of these fields, and having a strong background in it can open up opportunities for research and career growth.

4. What skills from a mathematics degree are transferable to engineering?

A mathematics degree provides students with a wide range of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, logical reasoning, and advanced quantitative analysis. These skills are highly transferable to engineering and can be applied to various real-world problems and scenarios.

5. How can I prepare for a Ph.D in engineering with a BA in mathematics?

To prepare for a Ph.D in engineering with a BA in mathematics, it is essential to take courses in engineering-related subjects, such as physics, computer science, and statistics. Additionally, gaining research experience in an engineering field and networking with professors in the engineering department can also be beneficial. It is also essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, so reviewing and strengthening your mathematical skills can be helpful as well.