Job Market for Non-academic Research Mathematicians

In summary: However, if your research is of good quality and you have a good publication record, you are more likely to be considered for a position. Especially if you are from a country with a poor research-scene (like the UK).In summary, it is likely to be difficult to land a position in research mathematics as a college graduate, but if you have a good publication record and are from a country with a poor research-scene, your chances may be better.
alligatorman
How is the job market for research mathematicians in industry?

My ultimate goal is to get a PhD in Mathematics, and while I would love to become a professor, I recognize that these days, the chances of me getting a Tenured Track position out of college are slim to none, and personally, I'd rather not travel around the country for temporary low pay positions until I'm 35.

I know there are areas outside of academia that hire mathematicians for research. I've been looking at places like NIST, Sandia, Bell Labs, Microsoft, Google, Motorola.

How likely is getting a position at a place like this as a mathematician? I'm talking someone that is using good amounts of high level math to solve problems, not just something a comp. sci masters could also accomplish.

Is it realistic to land a position like this out of college, given I study something highly appliable? there are always fallback positions like finance and the like, but those don't interest me much.

Thoughts? Is it even worth getting a PhD in math if you don't plan on sticking around in academia?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it really would depend on your area of research. You may want to look into those companies you mentioned that hire mathematicians and read the descriptions of the available positions. However, it's not likely that a company is going to hire you to research pure math.

There is no clear distinction between industry and academia in some cases. The research done at places like NIST etc is not that different from what is done at many universities and there are many other similarites as well (i.e. NIST do hire post-docs, have PhD students working there etc), I believe the same is true for the various "labs" owned by Microsoft etc.

Hence, they are likely to have roughly the same requirements as a university when they hire new staff and you are unlikely to get a permanent position unless you have done at least one post-doc OR happen to have some specific skill they are in desperate need of.

Having gone through the "temporary low pay positions"-stage seems to be somewhat of a requirement when applying for permanent positions in research.

What is the job market like for non-academic research mathematicians?

The job market for non-academic research mathematicians is relatively stable and offers a variety of opportunities in both industry and government sectors. With the increasing demand for data analysis and problem-solving skills, there is a growing need for mathematicians in fields such as finance, technology, and healthcare.

What types of job titles are available for non-academic research mathematicians?

Some common job titles for non-academic research mathematicians include data scientist, quantitative analyst, operations research analyst, and statistician. These roles can be found in various industries, including finance, technology, and consulting.

Do I need a PhD to work as a non-academic research mathematician?

While many research mathematicians do have a PhD, it is not always a requirement for non-academic positions. Some employers may prefer a master's degree or equivalent experience in a related field, such as statistics or computer science.

What skills do non-academic research mathematicians need to have?

Non-academic research mathematicians need to have strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and MATLAB. They should also have a solid understanding of statistics and data analysis techniques.

What is the salary range for non-academic research mathematicians?

The salary range for non-academic research mathematicians can vary depending on factors such as industry, location, and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mathematicians in May 2020 was $93,290, with the highest 10 percent earning more than $161,900.