Q on Satellite Orbits + Regression of Nodes

In summary, the regression of nodes in satellite orbits is caused by the Earth's oblateness, which is not accounted for in the simple point mass model. The right ascension of the ascending node remains constant, but the Earth's non-spherical shape causes the node to regress. The Lagrange Planetary Equations describe the variations in orbital elements.
JamesGoh
Currently I am studying about mechanics of satellite orbits, however I cannot seem to understand in the regression of nodes, why the line of nodes would rotate in a direction contrary to that of the actual satellite orbit (irrespective if it is prograde or retrograde orbit) ?

Ive tried drawing diagrams of the Earth and retrograde and prograde orbits surrounding them, however I still cannot grasp the concept ?

Is there anything I am not taking into consideration ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are missing what causes the regression of the nodes. The right ascension of the ascending node is a constant in the simple point mass model of an orbit. The node regresses because the simple point mass model is not quite right. The Earth isn't spherical, for one thing. The Lagrange Planetary Equations describe the variation of the osculating orbital elements.

lol I am currently studying about the effects of the Earth's oblateness on satellite orbits so thanks for the reminder :)

1. What is the purpose of studying satellite orbits and regression of nodes?

Satellite orbits and regression of nodes are important topics in the field of astronomy and satellite technology. The study of these phenomena allows scientists to accurately predict the movement and position of satellites in space, which is crucial for communication, navigation, and other satellite-based applications.

2. What is satellite orbit regression and how does it occur?

Satellite orbit regression is the gradual change in the orientation of a satellite's orbit over time. This occurs due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, atmospheric drag, and solar radiation pressure. By studying this regression, scientists can make adjustments to satellite orbits to maintain their desired position and trajectory.

3. Can regression of nodes be observed in all satellite orbits?

Yes, regression of nodes can be observed in all satellite orbits. However, the extent and rate of regression may vary depending on the orbit's altitude, inclination, and other factors. Satellites in low Earth orbit experience a faster regression compared to those in geostationary orbit.

4. How is regression of nodes measured and calculated?

Regression of nodes is measured and calculated by observing the movement of the ascending or descending nodes of a satellite's orbit over time. The nodes are the two points where the satellite's orbit intersects the equatorial plane. Scientists use mathematical models and data from ground-based observations and satellite telemetry to accurately calculate the regression.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding satellite orbits and regression of nodes?

The knowledge of satellite orbits and regression of nodes has various practical applications. It helps in accurate satellite tracking, orbit prediction, and collision avoidance. It also aids in optimizing satellite communication and navigation systems, as well as predicting and mitigating the effects of space debris on satellite operations.