Info on Faculty of Mathematics website for Cambridge

In summary: Thanks Wikipedia. According to Cambridge, there are no masters degrees in mathematics, but there are three different types of MA: the Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics (CASM), the Master of Arts (MA) with a focus in mathematics, and the Master of Science (MS) with a focus in mathematics.
Galadirith
I was reading on their undergrad http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/" and it seemed to imply that it was 3 years to obtain a BA, and that it was another 3 years to obtain an MA in Maths. Firstly that's confusing because I thought it was one year at Cambridge for an MA (well I don't actually know anywhere it isn't one year), and secondly I thought that Cambridge didn't offer a straight Maths MA degree but was in the form of their Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics. Have I just read wrong or not understood the info on the page? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is one of those Cambridge quirks, whereby three years after you have obtained your BA you may "trade it in" for an MA, regardless of what you have been doing in the mean time. MA degrees cannot be studied for in their own right at Cambridge. You can read more about it here.

And yes, you are (I think) right that there is no Maths masters degree at Cambridge, but that it is the CASM (or part III).

Thanks Cristo. Wow did not know that about Cambridge, that kind of seems unfair although i guess its the presumption that Cambridge Grads should have done something to merit the "Promotion" to an MA in those 3 years which I am sure most do.

It's fairly well-known that that's how Cambridge (and Oxford) operate (or used to) in certain subjects. My history teacher at school (Oxford) didn't bother to fill in the paperwork to apply for his 'Masters' until a prospective employer or similar asked "If he went to Oxford, why doesn't he have an MA?".

Galadirith said:
Thanks Cristo. Wow did not know that about Cambridge, that kind of seems unfair although i guess its the presumption that Cambridge Grads should have done something to merit the "Promotion" to an MA in those 3 years which I am sure most do.

It's the way it's been there for ages. And it's not to make people think Cambridge grads have done something to merit the 'promotion' it's tradition where on getting it they're considered senior members of the school (and hence allowed to vote in something). It's certainly not to make people think they're educated to the equivalent level of someone with a bachelors and a masters.

If you want to read more about it I'm sure it's on Wikipedia. Possibly under 'MA (Oxon)' or 'MA (Cantab)'

1. What programs does the Faculty of Mathematics offer at Cambridge?

The Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Theoretical Physics.

2. How can I apply to the Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge?

To apply to the Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge, you must first submit an application through the Cambridge University application portal. You will also need to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Additionally, some programs may require entrance exams or interviews.

3. What research areas are available within the Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge?

The Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge has a wide range of research areas, including Number Theory, Geometry, Probability and Statistics, and Mathematical Physics. You can find a complete list of research areas on the Faculty of Mathematics website.

4. Are there any scholarship or funding opportunities for students within the Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge?

Yes, the Faculty of Mathematics offers various scholarships and funding opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students. These include merit-based scholarships, research grants, and travel grants. You can find more information about these opportunities on the Faculty of Mathematics website.

5. Can I study abroad through the Faculty of Mathematics at Cambridge?

Yes, the Faculty of Mathematics offers study abroad programs and exchange opportunities with other universities around the world. These programs allow students to gain international experience and learn from different perspectives. You can find more information about study abroad opportunities on the Faculty of Mathematics website.