Airplane Wing Lift: Bernoulli & Newton's Laws

In summary, the conversation is about researching the lift generated by airplane wings and the contribution of the Bernoulli effect and Newton's laws. The person is seeking data on wing profiles and any suggestions on how to calculate the lift. A recommended resource is NASA, which offers free software to help with this task.
Lift ! (airplanes)

Hello,
I am writing a research paper about the lift generated by the wings of an airplane.
It is about the extent to which the Bernoulli effect and Newton's laws each contribute to creating lift.

I planned on calculating the actual value of the lift generated by each, using data on the wing profiles of airplanes. But so far, I have only managed to get stuck.

Any ideas on how I should go about doing this?

PS Does anybody know where I can get detailed data/measurements of airplane wing profiles?

Engineering news on Phys.org

A good starting point is NASA: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bga.html"

They also offer several http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/freesoftware_page.htm" , such as:
"FoilSim II computes the theoretical lift of a variety of airfoil shapes. The user can control the shape, size, and inclination of the airfoil and the atmospheric conditions in which the airfoil is flying."

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the concept of airplane wing lift?

The concept of airplane wing lift is the force that allows an airplane to stay in the air and is generated by the interaction between the shape of the wing and the air it moves through.

How does Bernoulli's principle relate to airplane wing lift?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, its pressure decreases. This principle applies to airplane wing lift because the shape of the wing causes air to move faster over the top of the wing, creating an area of low pressure that helps lift the plane off the ground.

What is the role of Newton's laws in airplane wing lift?

Newton's laws of motion explain how the forces acting on an object affect its motion. In the case of airplane wing lift, the third law states that for every action (the downward force of gravity), there is an equal and opposite reaction (the upward force of lift). The first law also applies, as the plane's inertia keeps it moving forward as the lift force opposes the weight force.

Can airplane wing lift be explained by only one of these laws?

No, both Bernoulli's principle and Newton's laws are necessary to explain airplane wing lift. Bernoulli's principle explains the creation of lift due to the shape of the wing, while Newton's laws explain how the forces on the wing cause it to move and create lift.

How does airspeed and wing shape affect airplane wing lift?

Airspeed and wing shape both play a crucial role in airplane wing lift. Higher airspeed means faster-moving air over the wing and a greater difference in pressure, which results in more lift. The shape of the wing also affects the amount of lift generated, as a curved or cambered wing creates more lift compared to a flat wing.