Sound responsive light and movement

In summary, the conversation discusses how to create a mesh that is responsive to sound via light and movement for an architecture thesis. The best way to approach this project is to research the necessary materials and components, find tutorials or guides on how to build the system, and program it to respond to sound. Additionally, the conversation mentions using piezoelectric wires and LED's or fiber optics, and possibly weaving the wires through cheesecloth.
coyfish
hi,
i'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right directory, but I'm trying to figure out a way to make a mesh that is responsive to sound via light and movement. (i.e. some form of musical beat will cause this surface to ripple and light up). this is for an architecture thesis. the movement of the surface caused by the music should be random and unpredictable, while the lights would reflect the pulse created by the music.

i'm absolutely new to circuitry and robotics, but have done a little bit of research. I'm guessing that piezoelectric wires will help me get the movement of the surface, and led's or fiberoptics for the light. but i have no clue as to how to assemble it or what other parts i would need or how many or where to get them. also, I'm curious to know if i were to use piezoelectric wires, would i be able to physically weave them through something like cheesecloth? I've seen some clothing designers use piezo wires but do not know how they were configured.

i really appreciate any help/tips on how to configure this system. for those that respond, please forgive me if i ask any redundant questions. thanks for the help and patience!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this project is to start with researching what type of materials and components you need, and then look for tutorials or guides that show you how to build the system. For example, for piezoelectric wires, you can look for tutorials on how to wire them up and connect them to a controller. You should also research the types of LED's or fiber optics that you want to use, as well as any other components you might need. Additionally, you should research tutorials on how to program the system to respond to sound and create the desired effects. Finally, you should look into how to weave the piezoelectric wires through cheesecloth; this could involve some trial and error, depending on the type of fabric you choose. Good luck with your project!

1. How does sound responsive light and movement work?

Sound responsive light and movement uses sensors to detect sound waves and translate them into electrical signals. These signals then trigger the lights and movements to respond accordingly.

2. What types of sounds can trigger the lights and movement?

Any type of sound, from music and speech to environmental noise, can potentially trigger the lights and movement. However, the sensitivity and responsiveness may vary depending on the specific system and settings.

3. Can the lights and movement be customized to respond to specific sounds?

Yes, many sound responsive systems have the capability to be programmed and customized to respond to specific frequencies, patterns, or types of sounds. This allows for a more personalized and precise experience.

4. Are there any potential safety concerns with sound responsive light and movement?

As with any technology, there are potential safety concerns that should be considered when using sound responsive light and movement. These may include potential electrical hazards, sensitivity to loud or sudden noises, and potential distractions while driving or operating machinery.

5. What are some practical applications for sound responsive light and movement?

Sound responsive light and movement can be used for various purposes, such as creating a dynamic and immersive atmosphere for music and events, enhancing sensory experiences for individuals with disabilities, and adding interactive elements to art installations and performances.