Bachelors level Jobs in biology

In summary, a new graduate with a bachelor's degree in biology is looking for a job in evolutionary cell biology but is open to any type of biology job. He has searched extensively but has not had any luck. He is willing to relocate for a job opportunity. Suggestions for job searching include checking the lab area of local universities for open positions and checking out local companies, though they may not be focused on evolutionary cell biology research. Additionally, the website www.usajobs.com is recommended for federal government job opportunities. One person with a physics bachelor's degree shares that there are many more job opportunities in biology compared to physics.
Spirochete
A friend of mine is a new graduate with a bachelor's in biology. His ideal job is in evolutionary cell biology but he can really do any kind of biology. He's searched exhaustively for jobs with no luck. Anyone have any tips on places to look for bachelors level jobs in biology? He's willing to relocate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what he has been doing to search for a job, but a lab technician position is not something that is usually advertised in the local paper or anything.

Often if you hit the lab area of your local university, there may be someplace where they post open positions (ours did so in the elevators). However, generally, universities don't pay as well as private industry, so he might want to check out local companies first ...although they likely wouldn't be doing evolutionary cell biology research.

Uh, try www.usajobs.com, the Federal Government jobs site (assuming he's in the US).

When I was just a physics bachelors, I envied the biologists--since for every one physics job I could find that the bachelor's even began to qualify me for, I could find at least 100 biology jobs.

What types of jobs can I get with a Bachelor's degree in biology?

With a Bachelor's degree in biology, you can pursue a variety of jobs in fields such as research, healthcare, education, and environmental science. Some common job titles include laboratory technician, environmental consultant, pharmaceutical sales representative, and science writer.

What skills do I need to have for a Bachelor's level job in biology?

In addition to a strong foundation in biology and related sciences, employers also look for skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. It is also important to have hands-on laboratory experience and familiarity with scientific equipment and techniques.

Do I need prior work experience to get a Bachelor's level job in biology?

While having prior work experience can certainly give you an advantage, it is not always a requirement for entry-level Bachelor's level jobs in biology. Many employers are willing to provide on-the-job training for recent graduates, so be sure to highlight any relevant coursework or laboratory experience on your resume.

What salary can I expect with a Bachelor's degree in biology?

The salary for Bachelor's level jobs in biology can vary depending on the specific job, location, and employer. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for biological technicians (a common entry-level job for biology graduates) was $45,860 in May 2020.

Are there opportunities for career advancement with a Bachelor's degree in biology?

Yes, there are opportunities for career advancement with a Bachelor's degree in biology. With experience and additional education, such as a Master's or PhD, you can advance to higher-level positions in your field or move into management or research roles. Continuing education and staying up-to-date on advancements in the field can also open up new opportunities for career growth.