Wind Turbine coil/magnet design

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a wind turbine capable of 3kW and approximately 300rpm using mechanical furling. The current plans and ideas involve using 9 coils of #14 gauge wire and 12 permanent magnets, but the speaker is looking to increase the turbine size to 5m in order to generate enough power for self-sufficiency. They are seeking information and calculations to determine the optimal coil and magnet configuration. The conversation also mentions potential challenges such as low wind speeds and the cost of multiple turbines.
dzine
As part of a wind turbine design project, I have come to selecting the most appropriate coil and permanent magnet configuration.
The aim is to design a turbine capable of 3kW (max), and approximately 300rpm. It will use mechanical furling to regulate speed.

So far, I have only seen plans/ideas on generators up to about 1.5kW, using turbines up to about 3m in diameter. They seem to use 9 coils of #14 gauge wire, wound 36 times for each coil. This is typically used with 12 permanent magnets 2"x1"x1/2", and at a mounting diameter of about 250mm. These are wired by connecting groups of 3 coils in series, the wiring up in 'Star'. It is then rectified and converted to 12vDC for storage.

By going to a 5m turbine, I am hoping to generate enough power to be self sufficient (but still tied to grid), and use the excess for other ideas I have down the track. It will need to be mounted high enough (12-16m) to be in a high velocity wind zone.

I am trying to understand from first principles (almost), how I would go about determining the following variables:
Coils - quantity, wire size, number of windings, coil shape, mounting radius.
Magnets - Quantity, strength, material, physical dimensions.

Does anyone have any information or calculations to help me understand better, the relationship between these factors and what components I should be selecting?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,

I work for [a wind turbine company] and we do this for a living. I am really curious to get into the discussion but am under many non-disclosure agreements to the design and technology that we work with. I can see you have dug up some pretty decent information. If you want to learn some general info about wind turbines and such there are some good articles on our site. Let me know if you develop any decent new technology and I might can assist you somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am learning/designing a turbine from the ground up. And interested in joining forces. This is a quick note and I will add my working later.

Unless you are in a place with high average windspeed wind turbines are a waste of time. For my location with lower than average windspeed websites suggest I might need 3 x 5 metre turbines at something like 25 meters above ground in order to come anywhere near supplying our full electricity needs. The cost would be enormous and the system would never pay for itself. Turbines run at far below peak output for most of the time.

1. How do wind turbine coils work?

Wind turbine coils work by utilizing Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. As the turbine blades turn, they rotate a magnet inside the generator, creating a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the coils, which can then be harnessed as electricity.

2. What is the best material for wind turbine magnets?

The best material for wind turbine magnets is neodymium, also known as rare-earth magnets. These magnets have a high strength-to-weight ratio and are able to produce strong magnetic fields, making them ideal for use in wind turbines.

3. How are the coils and magnets arranged in a wind turbine?

The coils and magnets are arranged in a specific pattern inside the generator of a wind turbine. The magnets are placed on the rotor, which is connected to the turbine blades, and the coils are placed on the stator. The stator remains stationary, while the rotor rotates, creating the changing magnetic field that induces electricity in the coils.

4. Can wind turbine magnets be recycled?

Yes, wind turbine magnets can be recycled. Neodymium magnets contain valuable rare-earth metals that can be extracted and reused. In fact, many wind turbine manufacturers have recycling programs in place to ensure that the magnets are properly recycled and reused.

5. How are wind turbine coils and magnets designed to maximize efficiency?

Wind turbine coils and magnets are designed to maximize efficiency by optimizing the magnetic flux and minimizing losses. This can be achieved through careful selection of materials, geometry, and placement of the coils and magnets. Additionally, the design must also take into account the speed at which the turbine blades turn and the desired output of electricity.