What is the Definition of 'Cos' in Hyperbolic Geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses analyzing space-time diagrams and the need to find the biggest angle in a triangle, which is known in terms of lengths and angle A. The equivalent of the cosine rule for the hyperbolic plane is mentioned, but there is confusion about the definition of 'Cos' on this plane. It is clarified that for a real triangle, adjacent/hypotenuse = sine of the opposite angle. The trig functions for the Euclidean plane can be defined in terms of a circle, while in the hyperbolic plane they are defined as cosh(t) and sinh(t). The conversation then shifts to discussing the Minkowski plane and its non-isotropic nature. The angle measure in a mixed spacelike-tim
Mentz114
This is not homework. I've been analysing some space-time diagrams and found I need to know the biggest angle in the illustrated triangle in terms of the lengths and the angle A which are known.

I found the equivalent of the cosine rule of Euclidean space for the hyperbolic plane but I'm confused about the definition of 'Cos' on this plane. Is it still adjacent/hypoteneuse ?

Any hints much appreciated.

Attachments

• hyperbolic-triangle.gif
    hyperbolic-triangle.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 486
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mentz114 said:
I found the equivalent of the cosine rule of Euclidean space for the hyperbolic plane but I'm confused about the definition of 'Cos' on this plane. Is it still adjacent/hypoteneuse ?

Hi Mentz114! :smile:

No, it's only adjacent/hypoteneuse for infinitesimal triangles.

For a real triangle, adjacent/hypoteneuse = sine of the opposite angle. :rolleyes:

The trig functions can be defined, in the Euclidean plane, in terms of a circle, as the (cos(t),sin(t)) coordinates of a point a distance t around the unit circle, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex], counterclockwise from (1, 0)

The equivalent in the hyperbolic plane are (x, y) coordinates of a point a distance t along the unit hyperbola, [itex]x^2- y^2= 1[/itex], upward from (1, 0) and are given by cosh(t), sinh(t).

Just to clarify -- you mention space-time diagrams, so I assume you meant to referring to the Minkowski plane (which is the geometry of 1+1-dimensional space-time in special relativity) and not the hyperbolic plane (which satisfies all of the usual axioms of Euclidean plane geometry except for the parallel postulate).

… oops!

Hurkyl said:
Just to clarify -- you mention space-time diagrams, so I assume you meant to referring to the Minkowski plane

ooh, I didn't spot that! :redface:

Ignore my previous post … it only applies to hyperbolic space …

thanks, Hurkyl! :smile:

Thanks for the replies. Obviously my confusion is deeper than I thought. I am in the Minkowski plane. Do the ratios of the lengths of right angle triangles define sinh, cosh etc instead of sin, cos etc because of the different length definition ?

One of the sides of my triangle has zero length !

Mentz114 said:
Thanks for the replies. Obviously my confusion is deeper than I thought. I am in the Minkowski plane. Do the ratios of the lengths of right angle triangles define sinh, cosh etc instead of sin, cos etc because of the different length definition ?

One of the sides of my triangle has zero length !

Minkowski space is non-isotropic, and so far as I know there isn't any general equation for triangles.

tiny-tim said:

Minkowski space is non-isotropic
However, all spacelike directions are the same, as are all timelike directions and all lightlike directions. You even have a sort of antisymmetry between space and time in that swapping them just contributes some negative signs here and there. Also, the lightlike directions are expressable as limits of spacelike or timelike directions.

Incidentally, the angle measure in a mixed spacelike-timelike plane is given by rapidity (and relate to hyperbolic trig functions) -- attempting to use 'Euclidean' angles will give nonsensical results.

Right, I'm getting there, thank you.
I've finished this ( see pic ) and I actually don't need that angle. I thought it might have physical significance but it isn't interesting.

Attachments

• ST-geometry-1.gif
    ST-geometry-1.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 483

1. What is Hyperbolic Geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry is a type of non-Euclidean geometry that studies the properties of geometric figures in a curved space. It is based on the hyperbolic postulate, which states that for any given line and point not on that line, there are an infinite number of parallel lines that can be drawn through the point and do not intersect the original line.

2. How is Hyperbolic Geometry different from Euclidean Geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry differs from Euclidean geometry in that it does not follow the parallel postulate, which states that for any given line and point not on that line, there is only one parallel line that can be drawn through the point. In hyperbolic geometry, there are an infinite number of parallel lines that can be drawn through the point.

3. What are some real-world applications of Hyperbolic Geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry has many real-world applications, including in the fields of architecture, art, and physics. It is used in the design of buildings, such as the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, and in the creation of optical illusions in art. It also has applications in the study of gravitational fields and the shape of the universe in physics.

4. What are some common problems in Hyperbolic Geometry?

Some common problems in hyperbolic geometry include finding the area and perimeter of geometric figures, determining the angles and side lengths of triangles, and studying the properties of circles and other curves. Many of these problems involve using the hyperbolic postulate to determine the relationships between lines and points in a curved space.

5. How is Hyperbolic Geometry relevant in modern mathematics?

Hyperbolic geometry is relevant in modern mathematics as it provides a deeper understanding of non-Euclidean geometries and their applications. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as topology and group theory. Additionally, hyperbolic geometry has been used to solve problems in computer science, such as in the creation of algorithms for network routing and optimization.