Limit of Crystal Growth Furnace

In summary, a crystal growth furnace is used to determine the best way to manufacture crystals for electric components used in the space shuttle. Temperature must be controlled accurately by adjusting the input power, as shown in the equation T(w)= 0.1w2 + 2.157w + 20. To maintain a temperature of 197°C, approximately 32.65 watts of power is needed. For a temperature range of ±1°C, the wattage can vary between approximately 32.57 watts and 32.74 watts. The quadratic formula can be used to solve for the exact wattage needed in both cases.
Kaleb

Homework Statement

A crystal growth furnace is used in research to determine how best to manufacture crystals used in electric components for the space shuttle. For proper growth of the crystal, the temperature must be controlled accurately by adjusting the input power. Suppose the relationship is given by the following equation, where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius and w is the power input in watts.
T(w) = 0.1w2 + 2.157w + 20

(a) How much power is needed to maintain the temperature at 197°C? (Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.) X watts

(b) If the temperature is allowed to vary from 197°C by up to ±1°C, what range of wattage is allowed for the input power? (Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.)
X watts (smaller value)
X watts (larger value)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working this out on paper as I type this. My thought is that I find the w value to make the equation true? All I am looking for on this one is a hint, not the solution. NEED TO FIGURE OUT ON OWN! But, some guidance is always appreciated; any and all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaleb said:

Homework Statement

A crystal growth furnace is used in research to determine how best to manufacture crystals used in electric components for the space shuttle. For proper growth of the crystal, the temperature must be controlled accurately by adjusting the input power. Suppose the relationship is given by the following equation, where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius and w is the power input in watts.
T(w) = 0.1w2 + 2.157w + 20
Can I presume that you mean T(w)= 0.1 w2+ 2.157w+ 20?

(a) How much power is needed to maintain the temperature at 197°C? (Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.) X watts

(b) If the temperature is allowed to vary from 197°C by up to ±1°C, what range of wattage is allowed for the input power? (Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.)
X watts (smaller value)
X watts (larger value)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working this out on paper as I type this. My thought is that I find the w value to make the equation true? All I am looking for on this one is a hint, not the solution. NEED TO FIGURE OUT ON OWN! But, some guidance is always appreciated; any and all.
(a)If you want T(w)= 197, then replace T(w) in T(w)= 0.1w2+ 2.157w+ 20: Can you solve the equation 197= 0.1 w2+ 2.157w+ 20? Do you know the quadratic formula?

(b)If the temperature may be as high as 197+ 1= 198, you need to solve 198= 0.1w2+ 2.157w+ 20. If it can be as low as 197- 1= 196, you need to solve 196= 0.1w2+ 2.157w+ 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, that is what I meant. My apologies for not proof reading. I did come up with 32.65 without(ironically) having to use the quad formula by an educated guess on the wattage. Thanks again for your tips, your an asset to this forum! I am glad that I was on the right track, and that your tips provided further evidence to this effect.

-Much appreciated,
Kaleb

1. What is a limit of crystal growth furnace?

A limit of crystal growth furnace is the maximum size or amount of crystals that can be grown within the furnace. This limit is determined by various factors such as the size and design of the furnace, the type of crystal being grown, and the materials used in the furnace.

2. How is the limit of crystal growth furnace determined?

The limit of crystal growth furnace is typically determined through experiments and testing. Scientists will vary different parameters such as temperature, pressure, and materials to find the maximum size or amount of crystals that can be grown within the furnace.

3. Can the limit of crystal growth furnace be increased?

Yes, the limit of crystal growth furnace can be increased by making changes to the furnace design or using different materials. Scientists are constantly working to improve and optimize crystal growth techniques to increase the limit of crystal growth furnace.

4. What are some applications of the limit of crystal growth furnace?

The limit of crystal growth furnace is important to understand in various fields such as materials science, electronics, and pharmaceuticals. It can help determine the maximum size of crystals for specific applications and also aid in the development of new materials with desired properties.

5. Are there any challenges in measuring the limit of crystal growth furnace?

Yes, there are challenges in measuring the limit of crystal growth furnace, as it can be difficult to accurately determine the maximum size or amount of crystals that can be grown. This is due to factors such as variations in experimental conditions and the complex nature of crystal growth processes.