CNN: It's McCain and Palin

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Palin is a relatively unknown politician who has only been in office for two years. She is a Republican and is likely to be a strong supporter of the oil industry. The VP debate is likely to be interesting, as Biden is likely to bully Palin.
Those high tech glasses she wears will swing this election.
Think I'm kiddin?
We have people discussing her hair!

Physics news on Phys.org
The one thing that amazes me:

Palin was positively NOT a selection from the Rove Machine. I was expecting the "Next-up from the neo-cons" presentation. McCain's VP, should he win, would be the likely GOP nominee in four years, and Palin (as noted already) is not "presidential."

Perhaps the neo-GOP is throwing in the towel for this round. I expect some interesting "event choreography" will occur over the next four years.

Chi Meson said:
The one thing that amazes me:

Palin was positively NOT a selection from the Rove Machine. I was expecting the "Next-up from the neo-cons" presentation. McCain's VP, should he win, would be the likely GOP nominee in four years, and Palin (as noted already) is not "presidential."

Perhaps the neo-GOP is throwing in the towel for this round. I expect some interesting "event choreography" will occur over the next four years.
I wondered that too. Is she the VP nominee because no serious contender would take the nomination in case it poisoned their chance of being on a 'winning' ticket in the future? It seems like that, but to take Russ's point the polls don't show this election as a certain lost cause for the Republicans to justify such a stance :confused:

in the US system hair is actually a major factor in being taken seriously. I recall a party who was suing president clinton for harassment unsuccessfully until she got a good haircut.

Cyrus said:
-Mayor of a small town no one's heard of

Don't be too harsh. Wasilla is small I agree. 7300 people or so.

But it is world famous as the start of the Iditarod Dog Sled race.
In fact I think there is a Mushers Hall of Fame nearby as one of the attractions of things to see and do in Wasilla.

Cyrus said:
At least McCain went to the Naval Academy and was a Naval Aviator.
I don't doubt that the Academy has a grueling program overall, but how does this specifically speak for academic caliber?

The Naval Academy isn't for idiots.
Academically, the Naval Academy is not highly ranked (I know I'm going to have Russ on my tail for this).

#225 for academic selectivity in admissions

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/liberal-arts-search among Liberal Arts colleges, just below #18 Colgate U, #19 Smith College, #20 Hamilton College, #21 Oberlin College

Even if you want to argue McCain got there because of his father (which I won't argue), at least he was exposed to people of a very high caliber and teachers that demanded much from him.
And he responded by graduating 5th from the bottom in a class of about 900. How does that speak for academic achievement?

Honestly, school of Journalism from Idaho?....What award winning journalists ever came out of that place?
She's not being picked for White House journalist, is she? U Idaho is the alma mater for such notable and wise legislators as Sen. Larry Craig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe things get slow during the winter up there in Alaska? This is from a newspaper account about Palin that included this discussion of her sister's divorce today in the Washington Post:

Washington_Post said:
"The domestic dispute entered the public arena when the governor's sister filed for divorce from Wooten on April 11, 2005.

The same day, the governor's father, Chuck Heath, contacted state police with several allegations against Wooten: using a Taser on his 10-year-old stepson; shooting a moose without a permit; and drinking beer while driving a patrol car.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/29/AR2008082903598_pf.html

Edit: Reading later in the article the Washington Post also gives the other side that the child wanted to feel what it was like? I suspect it feels like ouch kid.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I know some Alaskan women. Believe me, they're tough.
She may be a beauty queen but the Alaskan idea of a beauty pagent is "What does she look like in a bikini? Can she skin a moose? What sort of rifle does she own? What sort of truck and snowmobile does she drive?"

I lived in Alaska for a couple years and still have family there. Yes, Arctic winters are not for wimps. But knowing how to not get frozen to the outhouse seat doesn't qualify a person for anything, except maybe how to use an outhouse when it's -40 (which is the same temp on the C and F scales, btw, but I'm sure everone here knew that already :smile: !).

castlegates said:
Those high tech glasses she wears will swing this election.
Think I'm kiddin?
We have people discussing her hair!
Couldn't agree more.

Really, people (yes lisa, I'm glaring at you) - her hair? Tut tut.

On cnn.com

"As a Hillary Clinton supporter, I feel insulted that John McCain would come trolling for my support with a woman that has the opposite viewpoint on just about every single issue. I say, NO WAY,NO HOW,NO PALIN!"

do you think this is the case with other female voters as well?

Also check this out :

The McCain campaign calls her a "tough executive who has demonstrated" readiness to be president. The Republican National Committee calls her a "conservative star with the talent, energy and family support necessary to carry out common sense policies."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/palin.bio/index.html

Do you really think family support, energy and talent will make one a good president?...??

mathwonk said:
in the US system hair is actually a major factor in being taken seriously. I recall a party who was suing president clinton for harassment unsuccessfully until she got a good haircut.

Don't forget John Edwards 'good hair'.

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Don't be too harsh. Wasilla is small I agree. 7300 people or so.

But it is world famous as the start of the Iditarod Dog Sled race.
In fact I think there is a Mushers Hall of Fame nearby as one of the attractions of things to see and do in Wasilla.

:rofl:

Here is the problem I have with her, and it seems perhaps the reason she was chosen?

Evangelicals energized by McCain-Palin ticket

Sarah Palin already has energized conservative religious leaders who had fretted that John McCain would pick an abortion rights supporter as his running mate. The Alaska governor was raised in a Pentecostal church and has called herself "as pro-life as any candidate can be."

To Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religion Liberties Commission, Palin is "straight out of veep central casting." Land said he had urged the McCain camp to consider the political unknown.

Gary Bauer, one of McCain's most enthusiastic evangelical supporters, said the Arizona senator had hit a "grand slam home run" and that adding Palin to the GOP ticket is "guaranteed to energize values voters."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cvn_palin_evangelicals [Broken]

Gokul43201 said:
I don't doubt that the Academy has a grueling program overall, but how does this specifically speak for academic caliber?

Academically, the Naval Academy is not highly ranked (I know I'm going to have Russ on my tail for this).

#225 for academic selectivity in admissions

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/liberal-arts-search among Liberal Arts colleges, just below #18 Colgate U, #19 Smith College, #20 Hamilton College, #21 Oberlin College

And he responded by graduating 5th from the bottom in a class of about 900. How does that speak for academic achievement?

Right, and I don't excuse his poor academic achievements. BUT, at least he was in an environment where it was a no BS atmosphere. I've visited the Naval Academy in high school, one my high school teachers taught there, and we've got a few grad students in our department from there. They don't mess around, they are very serious people. If you goof off they kick you out. Now, McCain comes from a line of rear admirals so of course he got away with slacking off. But I can say for sure he was around people with higher ethics and work values than U-Idaho (Or even my own school). If you've never visited there, I'd really encourage anyone to see it first hand. It's a great place. It really trains you to be a leader first, and stuff related to your major second.

Also, come on Gokul. Are you going to play the 'rankings' game? We all know these things are BS indicators of schools. My school is in the top 10, but I don't doubt there are schools below us that could give us a run for our money in certain areas of research. Actually, I know it for a fact. So, why are they not in the Top 10? It's all politics...anyone looking at those ratings should with a LARGE grain of salt.

She's not being picked for White House journalist, is she? U Idaho is the alma mater for such notable and wise legislators as Sen. Larry Craig.

No, I'm not talking about U Idaho in general. I'm talking about the school of journalism in Idaho. According to his wiki he went to the school of political science (probably won't find him asking what's a vp do), and graduate school at GWU. I'm sure U Idaho has many good programs and departments. But I don't think Journalism is one of them, is it? I'm not saying Journalism is a bad major, I am just saying I'd rather her have studied Journalism at say, Harvard. Because she would have been around and exposed to people that are very bright, well connected, and from all around the world. I'm guessing she only met her 'own kind' down at U Idaho. In other words, I highly doubt her college experience opened her mind to new ideas and cultures.

Most elections are based on looks.
So I'll make some observations.
Anybody notice what it looks like when Biden is standing next to Obama during an interview, where Biden is old enough to be Obamas dad, and the questions go to Obama for the answers, while Biden is forced to bite his lip, and take on the role of boy? My word of advice - Don't be seen together until after the election. :-)

Those Palin spectacles are hot! hot! hot!. Rectangle lens!?, One side square and one side round!? Enough to make anyone go gaga! Just wait to see what happens when she takes them off, or better yet, when she puts them back on after taking them off! I just can't tell you enough how hot those glasses are!

The black dress she wore yesterday did not cut it. She should have worn red (an attack dress), then worn black the next day as a somber expression from killing the cat the day before. Then wear yellow tomorrow as the dawning of a new era.

I'm not kidding here ... this tripe matters.

Blame the system by which our leaders are chosen, it's a popularity contest by the nature of design. Change the design or resign yourself to the vanity of people magazine. Be an expert of fashion to make an informed decision. Hold your vote until you are up on the latest hairstyles, and never take your eyes off the spectacles!

Astronuc said:
And she'd still be way ahead of the current president!

There's nothing like on-the-job training (although it hasn't worked for Bush). :biggrin:

I disagree. Bush has learned a lot and is now a much better President than when he started. The problem is that he dug himself such a deep hole...

By the way, I like Palin. She stood up to the oil companies in Alaska. That shows gumption and honesty -- two things Bush and his VP lack in spades.

Evo said:
Here is the problem I have with her, and it seems perhaps the reason she was chosen?
Of course it's the reason she was chosen - the enthusiasm gap. McCain was not a big hit with the far right, Christian wing of the party. Palin fixes that. Any angry Hillary supporters she pulls in makes it even better.

And it was Rove who was predicting that Obama would pick the politically useful choice over more qualified candidates. Ummm yes - Biden is not qualified, but Palin is!

Cyrus, I thought the reference to Larry Craig would have made it clear that I was joking about the last bit. More later...

Do we have the statistics on voter demographics? I just read that 26% of registered voters are Evangelical. That's very scary because this group will be taken to the polls by their church groups, they are far more likely to actually vote than most groups. I know this from some Born Again Christians that insisted I attend some of their church services and prayer groups. They wanted to show me that they were normal, that's not the impression I came away with.

It would seem that any hope one might have had that McCain might revert back to his older ways after the convention have been dashed with the selection of Palin.

The Evo Child is so pro Obama that she said she's personally driving me to the polls to make sure that I don't fail to vote. She was so vehement in her pro-Obamaness that I thought the car might burst into flames.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Cyrus, I thought the reference to Larry Craig would have made it clear that I was joking about the last bit. More later...

Ahahha, my bad Gokul.

Gokul43201 said:
And it was Rove who was predicting that Obama would pick the politically useful choice over more qualified candidates. Ummm yes - Biden is not qualified, but Palin is!

Hypocrisy in the name of achieving right wing agenda goals is not something that apparently worries or slows Bush-Cheney-Rove in their actions or their words.

Palin would make a much better President than Obama.

isly ilwott said:

Now your just trying to crack me up! :rofl:

isly ilwott said:
In what ways? I don't see her qualified in any way as a President. What does she know about foreign affairs? How could she possibly be fit to be the Commander in Chief of the military?

This is what kills me about people voting for a President based on "family moral values" and how religious they are.

With McCain's advanced age and history of medical problems, it is very likely that she could end up as President, and that to me is completely unacceptable.

wildman said:
I disagree. Bush has learned a lot and is now a much better President than when he started. The problem is that he dug himself such a deep hole...
How is Bush better than when he started? One of Bush's many problems is that he doesn't know when he's wrong, which is most of the time IMO. He is fiscally irresponsible (and so is Congress), he's still stuck in an ill-conceived occupation in Iraq (and his belligerent foreign policy is counter-productive), his administration was late in understanding and responding to the current economic crisis, his education policies have failed, the US is more dependent on foreign energy sources than ever, . . . . Bush was inept 8 years ago, and will leave office as inept as ever.

By the way, I like Palin. She stood up to the oil companies in Alaska. That shows gumption and honesty -- two things Bush and his VP lack in spades.
I think Palin is basically honest - I'll give her that. She killed the 'bridge to nowhere'.

And granted, she's no pushover with the oil companies - http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/29/news/newsmakers/palin_oil.fortune/index.htm
Palin also raised taxes on oil companies after Murkowski's previous tax regime produced falling revenues in 2007, despite skyrocketing oil prices. Alaska now has some of the highest resource taxes in the world. Alaska's oil tax revenues are expected to be about $10 billion in 2008, twice those of previous year. BP says about half its oil revenues now go to taxes, when royalty payments to the state are included.

Alaska gets tough on Big Oil

I do see that Palin is pro-drilling/development (in ANWR?). She made a comment about producing more natural gas in order to 'help make the US energy independent' - which it won't. Only conservation in order to reduce energy consumption combined with alternative and renewable energy sources will make the US less dependent on foreign energy sources. But if the US cannot reduce demand for energy below that which can be produced from domestic resources, the US will always be dependent on other countries.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gWi6yTVfPyJeiTBsQ33SSUiobt8wD92I9NIO0 [Broken] - In this article, it talks about how Palin "jump-started a project to build a natural gas pipeline and pushed through a plan to send every resident $1,200 from the state's oil-rich treasury to offset high fuel prices." But there is some concern that she used her office improperly with regard to her brother-in-law. That might have repercussions in Nov.

Evo said:
Do we have the statistics on voter demographics? I just read that 26% of registered voters are Evangelical.

This is the figure that Wikipedia shows, though it is sourced ultimately from the Bliss Institute in Akron.

This link from Bill Moyers puts the appeal to Evangelicals into some perspective as far as the electoral calculus is concerned.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonamerica/print/religionandpoliticsclass_print.html

I think he used some of their numbers as well.

She may be smart enough and competent enough to assume the office, if necessary, but right now, we know nothing about her positions. Yes, she is governor of a very large state, but that state has fewer people than 16 individual cities do, and it is awash in oil revenues, so she never had to face tough budgetary issues like most governors do.

Palin is a wild-card for McCain. If she gets caught flat-footed when asked questions about foreign affairs, trade policies, economic policies, etc, she's going to be compared to Biden, and none-too-favorably. We'll see how this plays out. When she invoked Clinton's 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, I wanted to gag - especially after she had said that she was turned off by Clinton's whining.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/156190/output/print [Broken]

Gokul43201 said:
Couldn't agree more.

Really, people (yes lisa, I'm glaring at you) - her hair? Tut tut.

*laughs at Gokul's glare*

OK, I admit it...I'm off in left field with the hair thing. But it reminds me of the polygamist's hairdos...is a 1950's style beehive now a religous right-wing fashion statement?

Babe Ruth at one time did not have any experience in the world of baseball, yet he was the greatest player of all time. For anyone to say that Palin can't do the job of president based on a ten minute acceptance speech shows an unwillingness to learn more about her potential to do the job. I'd certainly hate to have you as a baseball scout. The next few months should be telling.

Astronuc said:
I think Palin is basically honest - I'll give her that. She killed the 'bridge to nowhere'.

And granted, she's no pushover with the oil companies ...

If there is a concern in this regard it is that VP is not exactly in the "honesty" chain of command. Making her a poster girl for honesty - while certainly a media upgrade to the likes of Cheney and Rove and Bush - doesn't mean that she will make any difference in that regard.

Though ultimately I must suppose that McCain is himself more honorable and honest than the current bunch and regardless of the results of the election the country can at least look ahead to an upgrade in that area.

Evo said:
The Evo Child is so pro Obama that she said she's personally driving me to the polls to make sure that I don't fail to vote. She was so vehement in her pro-Obamaness that I thought the car might burst into flames.
Does she not understand that our electorial votes here in Kansas are going to McCain regardless of if she drags you to the polls or not?

castlegates said:
Most elections are based on looks.
So I'll make some observations.
Anybody notice what it looks like when Biden is standing next to Obama during an interview, where Biden is old enough to be Obamas dad, and the questions go to Obama for the answers, while Biden is forced to bite his lip, and take on the role of boy? My word of advice - Don't be seen together until after the election. :-)

Those Palin spectacles are hot! hot! hot!. Rectangle lens!?, One side square and one side round!? Enough to make anyone go gaga! Just wait to see what happens when she takes them off, or better yet, when she puts them back on after taking them off! I just can't tell you enough how hot those glasses are!

The black dress she wore yesterday did not cut it. She should have worn red (an attack dress), then worn black the next day as a somber expression from killing the cat the day before. Then wear yellow tomorrow as the dawning of a new era.

I'm not kidding here ... this tripe matters.

Blame the system by which our leaders are chosen, it's a popularity contest by the nature of design. Change the design or resign yourself to the vanity of people magazine. Be an expert of fashion to make an informed decision. Hold your vote until you are up on the latest hairstyles, and never take your eyes off the spectacles!

I like this. Unfortunately, these are very significant factors. Regardless of whether you're right about Obama & Biden together, it won't be an issue since they'll campaign separately. Biden will be a great VP on the campaign trail - and he does add something for those looking for some serious punch in terms of experience.

As much as I think Palin is a huge plus in the election, I have some reservations about her experience level, as well - the same I've had about Obama (especially at the start of the campaign), except even more so. Obama's performance during the campaign has generally been so outstanding that the experience issue really wasn't going anywhere for McCain, anyway.

I don't think as much weight will be put on Palin's inexperience as there should be. Not only does she have no experience in foreign policy issues, she's had no interest in it. It's part of the paradox of gubernatorial experience seeming more important than Congressional experience. Executive experience is seen as being superior in spite of the fact that most governors have almost no reason to show interest in foreign policy and national defense. Bush 43, Clinton, Reagan, and Carter all had no record on foreign policy or national defense, although Reagan at least had to address the issue in previous Presidential campaigns.

It's hard for me to back my own impressions about experience up with any kind of statistical comparison, though. Here's a comparison of previous experience to historical Presidential rankings from Electoral-Vote.com

Is it true that the only experience that really matters is actual Presidential experience? Head coaching experience certainly makes a difference in professional football, right? (Head coaching being another very intense job that happens to have easily accessible records, with easily accessible unfortunately being the most important criteria). Fifty Super Bowls and 19 winning coaches had 1 to 5 years experience, 22 had 6 to 10 years experience, 8 had 11 to 15 years experience, and 1 (Tom Landry) had 18 years experience. Twenty-five head coaches have won at least one Super Bowl and 16 won their first with between 1 to 5 years experience, 5 with 6 to 10 years experience, and 4 with 11 to 15 years exerience (Tom Landry plus the last 3 Super Bowl coaches - experience apparently is gaining importance in professional football. In fact, Landry, Weeb Ewbank, Bill Cowher, Tom Coughlin are the only coaches to win a Super Bowl after their 11th year of coaching.)

Actually, I think the experience factor probably works against McCain since too much experience could also be rephrased as burn-out. I think his running forced a better candidate, Chuck Hagel, out of the race.

You have an election where the Presidential candidates are either too old or too inexperienced to be the "optimal" candidate. Between all four on the tickets, Biden would probably be the best the candidate for the job of President. I'd rank Palin as the least qualified among the four on the tickets. I don't have a lot of confidence in that assessment, though.

castlegates said:
Babe Ruth at one time did not have any experience in the world of baseball, yet he was the greatest player of all time. For anyone to say that Palin can't do the job of president based on a ten minute acceptance speech shows an unwillingness to learn more about her potential to do the job. I'd certainly hate to have you as a baseball scout. The next few months should be telling.
What a wonderful analogy! You do realize that when sports figures screw up, they lose games, right? And that when the president screws up, people can lose their jobs, insurance, homes, freedoms, and even their lives.

We're already in a great deal of trouble in this country, and it's going to take some skilled, dedicated leaders to help turn things around. This is too important to entrust to just anyone.

castlegates said:

While he was maybe the best in his time let's don't get too carried away in that regard.

I'd say I certainly have some concerns about how bright and capable she is. Clinging to notions such as Intelligent Design makes one wonder about what kind of scientists she might rely on as President to make decisions about global warming or energy policies or a whole host of other technological issues.

Clinging too to pro-life beliefs - presumably adamantly opposed then to stem cell research - and anti-abortion - marks her as someone swayed by religious ideology over serving the needs of the rest of the population that is not ideologically so inclined. Imposing the tyranny of right wing evangelical belief on the entire population is not exactly in the spirit of the US Constitution.

Unfortunately the only thing that would separate the country from such dismal prospects of dealing with such a person in the White House would be McCain's health. And that is a very scary thought to me that such a person could arrive at such a position of power.

turbo-1 said:
What a wonderful analogy! You do realize that when sports figures screw up, they lose games, right? And that when the president screws up, people can lose their jobs, insurance, homes, freedoms, and even their lives.

We're already in a great deal of trouble in this country, and it's going to take some skilled, dedicated leaders to help turn things around. This is too important to entrust to just anyone.
Yes...like when Clinton and the Dem's policies caused manufacturing to move overseas, leaving GWB to blame for the loss of jobs.

It's the Democratic tax and spend policies that kill jobs here. The Republican spending policies have been worse lately, but at least they don't favor taxing us out of business.

Any one of the three others on the tickets would be a better President than Obama.

<h2>1. What is CNN?</h2><p>CNN (Cable News Network) is an American news-based cable television channel that was launched in 1980. It is known for its 24-hour news coverage and is one of the most widely viewed news networks in the world.</p><h2>2. Who are McCain and Palin?</h2><p>John McCain and Sarah Palin were the Republican candidates for the 2008 United States presidential election. McCain was a senator from Arizona and Palin was the governor of Alaska. They ran against Barack Obama and Joe Biden, ultimately losing the election.</p><h2>3. Why is CNN reporting on McCain and Palin?</h2><p>CNN, as a news network, reports on current events and political news. The 2008 presidential election was a significant event in American politics, and McCain and Palin were the Republican candidates, making them newsworthy subjects for CNN's coverage.</p><h2>4. What is the significance of McCain and Palin's partnership?</h2><p>McCain and Palin's partnership was significant because it was the first time a woman was chosen as a vice-presidential candidate for the Republican party. It also brought attention to Palin's political views and experience as governor of Alaska.</p><h2>5. How does CNN's coverage of McCain and Palin impact the 2008 election?</h2><p>CNN's coverage of McCain and Palin, along with other news networks, played a role in shaping public opinion and influencing the outcome of the 2008 election. Their coverage provided information and analysis of the candidates' policies, speeches, and debates, which helped voters make informed decisions at the polls.</p>

1. What is CNN?

CNN (Cable News Network) is an American news-based cable television channel that was launched in 1980. It is known for its 24-hour news coverage and is one of the most widely viewed news networks in the world.

2. Who are McCain and Palin?

John McCain and Sarah Palin were the Republican candidates for the 2008 United States presidential election. McCain was a senator from Arizona and Palin was the governor of Alaska. They ran against Barack Obama and Joe Biden, ultimately losing the election.

3. Why is CNN reporting on McCain and Palin?

CNN, as a news network, reports on current events and political news. The 2008 presidential election was a significant event in American politics, and McCain and Palin were the Republican candidates, making them newsworthy subjects for CNN's coverage.

4. What is the significance of McCain and Palin's partnership?

McCain and Palin's partnership was significant because it was the first time a woman was chosen as a vice-presidential candidate for the Republican party. It also brought attention to Palin's political views and experience as governor of Alaska.

5. How does CNN's coverage of McCain and Palin impact the 2008 election?

CNN's coverage of McCain and Palin, along with other news networks, played a role in shaping public opinion and influencing the outcome of the 2008 election. Their coverage provided information and analysis of the candidates' policies, speeches, and debates, which helped voters make informed decisions at the polls.