Kinematics in Two Dimension-Niagra falls

• Thread starter pstfleur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem is trying to find the vertical distance below the edge of Niagra falls where the velocity vector of water points downwards at a 75 degree angle below the horizontal. The initial horizontal velocity is given as 2.7 m/s with no acceleration, and the vertical acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. The key is to find the y component of velocity that will result in a 75 degree angle to the resultant velocity vector, and then calculate the vertical distance.
pstfleur
Kinematics in Two Dimension-Niagra falls(not solved)

1. Suppose the water at the top of Niagra falls has a horizontal speed of 2.7 m/s just before it cascades over the edge of the falls. At what vertical distance below the edge does the velocity vector of the water point downward at a 75 degree angle below the horizontal.

3. Ok so i know the intial and final velocity in the x direction is equal to 2.7m/s with a 0 acceleration.. when it falls I assume that its initial velocity in the y direction is 0?(let me know if I am wrong here), and the acceleration to that is 9.8...now i need to figure out the time to get my Vfy, but I think i need My final position in order to calculate time. please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you'd assume the y component of velocity is zero as it drops initially. What is key here is the resultant velocity vector being at 75 degrees below horizontal. You know the x component so you need to find the y component that will give that angle to the resultant. Then you can find the vertical distance.

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller components and using the principles of kinematics to solve for the unknown variables. Firstly, we know that the initial velocity in the x-direction is 2.7 m/s and that there is no acceleration in this direction. Therefore, the velocity in the x-direction will remain constant throughout the fall.

Next, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to solve for the vertical distance below the edge where the velocity vector points downward at a 75 degree angle. In this case, our initial velocity (u) is 0 m/s, our final velocity (v) is unknown, our acceleration (a) is 9.8 m/s^2, and our displacement (s) is the vertical distance below the edge.

We can rearrange the equation to solve for v, which will give us the velocity at the point where the water is pointing downward at a 75 degree angle. Once we have this velocity, we can use trigonometry to find the vertical distance below the edge.

As for the time, we can use the equation v = u + at to solve for the time it takes for the water to reach this point. Again, we know the initial velocity (u) and acceleration (a), and now we have the final velocity (v) from our previous calculation.

Overall, the key to solving this problem is breaking it down into smaller components and using the equations of kinematics to solve for the unknown variables. With careful calculation and consideration of the given information, we can determine the vertical distance below the edge where the water points downward at a 75 degree angle.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics applied to Niagara Falls?

In the case of Niagara Falls, kinematics is used to analyze the motion of the water as it falls from the top of the waterfall to the bottom.

3. What is meant by "Two Dimension" in kinematics?

Two dimension refers to the fact that kinematics deals with the motion of objects in two dimensions, typically represented as horizontal and vertical axes.

4. Can kinematics be used to predict the height of Niagara Falls?

Yes, by analyzing the motion of the water and using equations of motion, kinematics can be used to predict the height of Niagara Falls.

5. How does kinematics help in understanding the velocity of water at Niagara Falls?

Kinematics helps in understanding the velocity of water at Niagara Falls by providing equations that can calculate the speed of the water based on its initial and final positions, as well as the time it takes to travel between those positions.