Preparing For the GRE: Advice & Courses to Take

In summary, the GRE is a standardized test used by graduate schools to assess a student's readiness for graduate-level work. It measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. To prepare for the GRE, it is recommended to start studying 3-6 months before the test date and to take practice tests, familiarize oneself with the test format and question types, and enroll in a prep course. There are various options for prep courses, and it is important to research and compare them to find the best fit. While a prep course is not necessary, it can be beneficial for some students. The GRE can be taken up to five times within a rolling 12-month period, but it is important to consider how multiple scores may be
kathrynag
Ok, so next year I should be taking the GRE. I was wondering what advice you guys would have when preparing for it? Like what courses should I definitely make sure I have a good background in?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Math Subject Test or the General GRE?

Math subject test

1. What is the GRE and why is it important?

The GRE, or Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test used by many graduate schools in the United States and Canada as part of the admissions process. It is designed to measure a student's readiness for graduate-level academic work and assess their verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. A strong performance on the GRE can increase a student's chances of being accepted into their desired graduate program.

2. How should I prepare for the GRE?

Preparation for the GRE should begin at least 3-6 months before the test date. Some recommended methods of preparation include taking practice tests, familiarizing yourself with the test format and question types, studying vocabulary and math concepts, and enrolling in a GRE prep course. It is important to create a study schedule and stick to it to ensure thorough preparation.

3. What are the best courses to take for GRE preparation?

There are many options for GRE prep courses, including online courses, in-person classes, and private tutoring. It is important to research and compare different courses to find the one that best fits your learning style and budget. Some reputable companies that offer GRE prep courses include Kaplan, The Princeton Review, and Manhattan Prep.

4. Is it necessary to take a GRE prep course?

No, it is not necessary to take a GRE prep course in order to do well on the exam. However, many students find that a structured course with experienced instructors can be helpful in preparing for the test. Additionally, taking a course can provide access to resources and practice materials that may not be available otherwise.

5. How many times can I take the GRE?

You can take the GRE once every 21 days, up to five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period. It is recommended to only take the GRE multiple times if you are confident that you can improve your score with each attempt. Some graduate schools may consider your highest overall score, while others may look at your most recent score. Be sure to check with the schools you are applying to for their policies on multiple GRE scores.