Dual degree or research experience?

In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It will depend on the specific research opportunities that are available to you, as well as your research skills. If you're interested in pursuing research opportunities outside of school, you can try looking online or contacting your local university research office. Additionally, you could look into working as a lab assistant or intern in a pharmaceutical development business. While those positions would not be considered research experience by most graduate admissions committees, they could still be valuable experiences that would help you develop research skills.
mbisCool
With supplemental summer coursework, I can finish a degree in physics and engineering in four years. If i decide to finish with this route, I will surely have little to no research experience as an undergrad. My academic goal is a phd. I know how important research experience is for phd applications, but I love physics and engineering and really want to complete the two degrees.

Does anyone have any idea how an applicant with a degree in physics/engineering and little to no research experience would hold up againsts other applicants with a lot of experience but one degree? Would it be detrimental to my applications to go this route? Has anyone else taken a similar route? Did anyone manage to find time to do research even with their entire adademic schedule dedicated to courses?

As always, any input from the community would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I got two minors (math and chem) with my primary degree (physics) and still did research (one summer in my undergrad chemistry department, one summer REU, and two years in my undergrad physics department. I arranged my schedule to have some free afternoons, and I also did some research work on weekends (once I was trained enough to be considered responsible with the equipment).

I also think, based on my experience as a graduate admissions committee member, that committees will rate research experience over a dual major and no research.

Two majors will say you can do coursework just fine, but it says nothing about the primary reason to be in graduate school and attain a Ph.D... which is to do research.

I'm going through the graduate school application process right now. By what I have heard from professors and former undergrads turned grads is that research experience is VERY important. Here is a quote from a physics professor of mine:

Grad schools expect undergrads to have research experience when applying. It's almost essential to your application.

I suggest to focus on getting research experience, especially if you are serious about going into a PhD program.

As physics girl phd said, research is what you are going to do in grad school. It's what you'll be paid to do as a PhD candidate and after you graduate. Looking at things this way, two degrees will not make up for having no research experience.

Thanks for the replies.

What counts as research?

Research units? Self-directed study units? Honours thesis units? Design units (engineering)? Summer semester research?

PhysicalAnomaly said:
What counts as research?

Research units? Self-directed study units? Honours thesis units? Design units (engineering)? Summer semester research?

Typically research would consist of "cutting edge" work with a research group (faculty-led or at a national lab, etc.) that could lead to publishable results. When graduate school look at research experience, it's a big plus if you've been on a publication (or a few!). Of your list above, I'd say research units or thesis units (which are generally schedule filler to keep an upper-level student full time during the term(s) when research is conducted) and summer semester research, generally in a program like REU, although it can also be done at your own university.

What the graduate admissions committees really look for is: publications, conference presentations (national meetings would be better than regional), for your personal statement to describe your role in your research experiences, and for your letters of recommendations to back up your personal statement by stating your drive and hopefully critical roles in your research experiences.

While some students write about self-directed study or projects in design courses (and have faculty recommendations to back those up, those experiences aren't as critical... and are rather second tier. Worth mentioning if you have no first tier experiences... but still not as good.

I would like to get started on research early; however, I am currently at a community college so I have no opportunities within the school. Would it be wise to put this off until my junior year after I transfer? Do you have any advice on where to find research opportunities outside of school? There is a pharmaceutical development business near my house, would working as something such as a lab assistant be considered research experience? Even if I wouldn't be doing the research myself?

1. What is a dual degree program?

A dual degree program is a specialized academic program that allows students to pursue two different degrees concurrently. These degrees can be from the same or different academic fields, and often result in a shortened timeframe for completing both degrees.

2. What are the benefits of a dual degree program?

A dual degree program offers several benefits, including a broader range of knowledge and skills, increased marketability in the job market, and potential cost savings by completing two degrees in a shorter amount of time. Additionally, it allows for interdisciplinary learning and networking opportunities.

3. How does a dual degree program differ from a traditional degree program?

A dual degree program differs from a traditional program in that it requires students to complete coursework and requirements for two degrees simultaneously. This often involves a more rigorous and specialized curriculum, but also results in a more well-rounded education.

4. What is research experience?

Research experience refers to hands-on experience gained through conducting research in a specific field of study. This can include conducting experiments, analyzing data, and writing reports or publications. It is often a valuable component of a graduate or doctoral degree program.

5. Is research experience necessary for a career in science?

While research experience is not always required for a career in science, it is highly recommended. It not only provides practical skills and knowledge, but also demonstrates a commitment to the field and can make an individual more competitive in the job market. Additionally, research experience is essential for those pursuing a career in academia or research.