I want to score high on my physics final, but how?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding physics and the importance of reading the chapters thoroughly. It also touches on concepts such as magnetism, electromagnetic induction, and the speed of light. The equation (Maxwell-Faraday equation) is mentioned as a way to interpret how current flows in order to maintain the magnetic field. The idea of different reference frames and the constant energy of electric and magnetic fields are also brought up.
voidofidea
Perhaps I am not reading the chapters enough, but this is just intro to physics where there aren't even any math equations to compute. It is simply the concepts and nature of things like light, heat, phase change, etc.

The final exam which is in a few weeks covers everything from day 1, it's cumulative. I've been reading the chapters again however it is a thick book. I have been reading thoroughly so should I Just keep reading or am I just too slow to understand physics? I have a keen interest in it and want to understand

For example, I attended the lecture on magnetism and electromagnetic induction, and to sum it up I could say that magnetism is emitted by charges in motion, which is electrical current. When there is a change in the magnetic field, electromagnetic induction occurs, and an electrical current is produced. The two are bound together.

Right now I am reading about light, and I can say that the reason why light travels at the speed it does is because of the conservation of energy. If it traveled any slower the wave would die out.

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, I attended the lecture on magnetism and electromagnetic induction, and to sum it up I could say that magnetism is emitted by charges in motion, which is electrical current.

Magnetism is more of a property. A magnetic field is what's produced by electric current.

When there is a change in the magnetic field, electromagnetic induction occurs, and an electrical current is produced. The two are bound together.

The equation (Maxwell-Faraday equation) is formulated in terms of an electric potential resulting from a change in magnetic field that passes through a closed loop. It can be interpreted as the current flows in such a way as to try to re-establish the magnetic field of previous instances in time. If an external magnetic field increases with time through a loop, current will try to flow so that the magnetic field that results from the current summed with this external field comes close to what the external field was before.

I don't know if this information helps, but with an intro class like you describe it must be really hard to really understand physics.

Right now I am reading about light, and I can say that the reason why light travels at the speed it does is because of the conservation of energy. If it traveled any slower the wave would die out.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. It is theoretically possible to slow down the speed of light but keep the transmission of the light lossless. Why light travels at the speed of light is a trickier question though, but I don't think why the speed of light must be the speed of light was really understood until Einstein. The core of the problem is, depending on your frame of reference, a moving charge will appear to produce different electric/magnetic fields. However, the energy of these fields must be constant in all frames of reference.

Last edited:
Well, you could also note that both fields are the same and only appear different because of different reference frames. So the electric field and the magnetic field are the same.

1. How can I study effectively for my physics final?

Effective studying for a physics final involves organizing your notes, reviewing concepts and formulas regularly, and practicing with sample problems. It is also important to get enough rest and manage your stress levels.

2. What are some tips for understanding difficult physics concepts?

To understand difficult physics concepts, try breaking them down into smaller parts and relating them to real-world examples. You can also seek help from your teacher, peers, or online resources such as videos or practice problems.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the physics final?

To improve your problem-solving skills for the physics final, make sure you fully understand the concepts and formulas, and practice solving different types of problems. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek help from your teacher.

4. How should I approach studying for a physics final if I have limited time?

If you have limited time to study for a physics final, focus on reviewing key concepts and formulas, and practicing with sample problems. You can also prioritize studying topics that you are less confident in, and use study aids such as flashcards or study guides.

5. Is it better to study alone or with a group for a physics final?

The best way to study for a physics final may vary for each individual, but it can be helpful to study both alone and with a group. Studying alone allows for focused review, while studying with a group can provide a different perspective and help clarify concepts. Find what works best for you and your learning style.