How Does Earth's Radius Influence Calculations in Magnetic Field Equations?

In summary: From what you've said, it seems as though you're not understanding the Biot-Savart Law. The law states that the magnetic field around a magnetic dipole is proportional to the magnetic dipole moment. In this case, since the Earth's magnetic field is essentially that of a magnetic dipole, the field near the North Pole will be about 3.6*10^-6 T above the surface at the North Pole.
Melqarthos

Homework Statement

The Earth's magnetic field is essentially that of a magnetic dipole. If the field near the North Pole is about , what will it be (approximately) 1.4×104 above the surface at the North Pole?

Homework Equations

Apparently we need to use the Biot-Savart Law which I'm not sure how it even applies in this situation granted that Earth's magnetic field acts like a dipole.

The Attempt at a Solution

If anyone could give me a heads up on how to do this, that'd be great.

Melqarthos

Physics news on Phys.org
Not the Biot-Savart Law. You just need the formula for the magnetic field around a magnetic dipole. Look it up in Wikipedia if your textbook doesn't have it handy.

Well from what I understand we know that μ=NIA, which is the magnetic dipole moment of a coil and is considered a vector. I also know that:

torque= μ*B

This is all useful only when we're messing with currents. We can further our investigation by realizing that we can use μ and sub it into the equation of a magnetic field produced by a magnetic dipole (along the dipole axis):

B= [μ(permeability constant)/2pi]*[ μ/(R^2+x^2)^(3/2)]

Oh I see! Let me try to figure this one out.

Delphi51 said:
Not the Biot-Savart Law. You just need the formula for the magnetic field around a magnetic dipole. Look it up in Wikipedia if your textbook doesn't have it handy.

I tried the problem again. Check the picture to see my work. I used another value for distance from the North pole. Instead of a distance of 1.4*10^4 I used 1.3*10^4 km. The back of my book says the answer should be 3.6*10^-6 T, but that's not what I got.

Meqlarthos

Attachments

• Physics.png
    Physics.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 586
Delphi51 said:

Okay I got it! But there's something I don't get. Why do we treat the radius of the Earth and the distance away from the magnetic dipole as 'one unified' distance, rather than two distances where the distance away from the Earth's surface should be x^2 as according to the magnetic dipole equation:

B= (μ0*μ)/(2*pi*(R^2+x^2)^(3/2)

and generally if x>>R, then:

B=(μ0*μ)/(2*pi*x^3)

I hope you can see where I'm coming from when I say why treat the Earth's radius and the distance away from the Earth's surface as one unified distance when the equations that give us the magnetic field don't tell us to do this.

Melqarthos

Attachments

• New Physics.png
    New Physics.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 595

1. What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a natural phenomenon that surrounds our planet and is created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. It acts like a giant magnet, with two poles (north and south) that are constantly shifting and changing in strength.

2. Why is Earth's magnetic field important?

Earth's magnetic field is crucial for life on our planet, as it protects us from harmful solar radiation and cosmic particles. It also plays a role in navigation for animals and humans, and is used in many modern technologies such as compasses and MRI machines.

3. How is Earth's magnetic field measured?

Earth's magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields. These are often used on satellites and spacecraft to map the Earth's magnetic field.

4. Does Earth's magnetic field ever change?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing and has been known to reverse its polarity (meaning the north and south poles switch) every few hundred thousand years. It also fluctuates in strength and location, which is why the magnetic north pole is not in the exact same location as the geographic north pole.

5. Can the Earth's magnetic field disappear?

While it is possible for Earth's magnetic field to weaken or fluctuate greatly, it is highly unlikely for it to completely disappear. The Earth's core is constantly in motion, generating the magnetic field, so it is a natural and essential part of our planet's existence.