Heat and Thermodynamics Textbook

In summary, the speaker recently covered heat and thermodynamics in their physics class and found it fascinating. However, they felt that the subject was given a shallow treatment due to the fast pace of the course and extensive material. They are now looking for a textbook that provides a more in-depth discussion of heat and thermodynamics and are open to suggestions. They mention their proficiency in single variable calculus and ODEs. The recommended book is "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder, which has received positive reviews for its accessibility to readers with a calculus-based physics background. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestion and plans to further research the book.
jgens
Gold Member
Recently in my physics class we covered heat and thermodynamics and I found the subject fascinating; however, given the pace of the course and breadth of material it must cover, I felt that the subject was given a shallow treatment (only covered elementary problems regarding the first law and completely neglected macro and microstates). Consequently, I'm looking for a textbook that will provide a more in depth discussion of heat and thermodynamics and am in the need for suggestions. So, what good textbooks would you recommend for heat and thermodynamics.

In case this helps, I'm fairly good with single variable calculus and am learning multivariable calculus. My calculus course also included several chapters on ODE's so I'm alright with them as well.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that a book that I like, An Introduction to Thermal Physics, by Daniel V. Schroeder, might be appropriate.

Thanks for the suggestion! I still have to look into it a little more, but it looks like a promising canidate, especially since reviews I've read said the only prerequisite for the book is a calculus based introductory physics course.

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It increases in isolated systems, but can be decreased through the input of external energy.

4. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat can be transferred through three mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. What is the significance of the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This law helps to explain why processes tend to move towards disorder and explains why certain processes are irreversible.