Battery charging via Solar pannel

In summary: The forward voltage drop of a diode is roughly 0.6 volts, and is roughly 3 times the emitter-collector drop of a saturated PNP transistor, so using a simple regulator comprised of a simple control circuit and a PNP pass transistor on the + side of the charging voltage is better.
rusty009
Hey guys, I recently conducted an experiment which involved charging a battery via a PV module and also logging the I and V values to calculate conversion efficiencies. I also logged the I and V values from two other circuits with a fixed resistance. I understand that every irradiation has a Maximum Power Point (MPPT) so a fixed resistance will never draw the maximum energy yield from the PV module. But when I saw the results I saw that the power conversion for the battery was good under high and low irradiances. My question is why is this? Does a battery have some sort of control circuit to vary its resistance ? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, but depending on the battery type the terminal voltage and so the current availabel from the PV will change as it charges.

For everythign you want to know about batteries see here http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

I've looked through that but I still don't understand what is actually happening.

As long as the PV output voltage is higher than the battery it will charge the battery. When the PV output drops, the battery will drain through the PV circuit. Many sailors have woken up to find drained batteries from either leaving their solar charger on at night or not installing diodes to keep the current flowing only to the battery.

Are you certain that durring the low irradiance test the battery was not what you measured for power conversion?

MythUser said:
As long as the PV output voltage is higher than the battery it will charge the battery. When the PV output drops, the battery will drain through the PV circuit. Many sailors have woken up to find drained batteries from either leaving their solar charger on at night or not installing diodes to keep the current flowing only to the battery.

The forward voltage drop of a diode is roughly 0.6 volts, and is roughly 3 times the emitter-collector drop of a saturated PNP transistor, so using a simple regulator comprised of a simple control circuit and a PNP pass transistor on the + side of the charging voltage is better.

1. How does solar panel charging work for batteries?

Solar panel charging for batteries works through a process called photovoltaic conversion. Solar panels contain photovoltaic cells that absorb sunlight and convert it into electricity. This electricity is then stored in a battery for later use.

2. What type of batteries can be charged with a solar panel?

Most commonly, solar panels are used to charge lead-acid batteries, which are used in cars, boats, and RVs. However, other types of batteries, such as lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride, can also be charged with a solar panel as long as they are compatible with the solar panel's voltage and current.

3. How long does it take to charge a battery with a solar panel?

The time it takes to charge a battery with a solar panel depends on various factors, such as the size of the solar panel, the capacity of the battery, and the amount of sunlight available. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to fully charge a battery with a solar panel.

4. Can a solar panel charge a battery in cloudy weather?

While solar panels are most effective in direct sunlight, they can still charge batteries in cloudy weather. However, the charging process may be slower compared to sunny conditions. It is recommended to place the solar panel in an area with maximum sunlight exposure for optimal charging.

5. Is it safe to leave a battery charging with a solar panel unattended?

It is generally safe to leave a battery charging with a solar panel unattended. However, it is important to ensure that the battery is compatible with the solar panel's voltage and current, and that all connections are secure. It is also recommended to check on the charging progress periodically to ensure everything is functioning properly.