Angular momentum in whole numbers

In summary, Planck's constant h is also the dimension of angular momentum. According to quantum mechanics, the angular momentum of any object must be hn where n is an integer. This follows from the fact that L=nh. However, for a classical object, n is so large that L appears continuous. So, angular momentum is in terms of h-bar, rather than just h.
snoopies622
The dimension of Planck's constant h (ML2/T) is also the dimension of angular momentum. Does it follow that the angular momentum of any object must be hn where n is an integer? I know h was discovered in a different context, but I was just wondering.

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows from quantum mechanics, not just the units, that L=nh.
For a classical object, n is so large that L appears continuous.

Here's the problem I'm having - consider the following scenario:

Using a standard Cartesian coordinate system, a particle of mass m moves along the x-axis in the positive x direction with constant speed v.

Using (0,y) as a reference point (and assuming that v<<c) the scalar value of the particle's angular momentum is ymv. If angular momentum is always hn - where n is an integer - it follows that the particle's speed must be hn/ym.

Since our reference point is arbitrary we can change it to 2y and this would make the allowable speeds of the particle be hn/2ym, which of course includes speeds not included in the set hn/ym.

Since nothing has changed with the particle, why would it now have a different set of allowable speeds?

Angular momentum would be in terms of h-bar, rather.

Yes, it should be hbar, but I was using units with 2pi=1.
Snoopie, your problem is you are trying to use a classical impact parameter with a quantum trajectory. There is no fixed y.

clem said:
...you are trying to use a classical impact parameter with a quantum trajectory. There is no fixed y.

So angular momentum, action, or any other physical quantity with that dimension is precisely defined while all others (distance, energy, etc.) are not?

Orbital angular momentum, spin angular momentum. Each are defined by the commutation relations. Spin can be half integer.

I'm sorry; I guess I don't really understand even the most basic ideas of quantum mechanics - I thought I did.

Is it the case that y should be replaced with y + Δy and (if the mass m is known with certainty) v should be replaced by v + Δv such that

[tex]

m \Delta y \Delta v = \hbar

[/tex]

while the angular momentum L = m (y + Δy) (v + Δv) is still known to be exactly [itex] n \hbar [/itex] ?

No, its more detailed than that. The particle moving is like an ocean wave. How would you describe the position of a wave? You need to look at a simple QM text.

clem said:
You need to look at a simple QM text.

Is there a specific one you have in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks atyy. You always provide great resources!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of how an object resists rotational motion) by the angular velocity (how fast the object is rotating) and the radius of rotation.

3. Why is angular momentum important?

Angular momentum is important because it is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant in the absence of external torques. This principle is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. How is angular momentum related to whole numbers?

In some cases, the value of angular momentum can only take on whole number values. This is because certain systems, such as atoms and subatomic particles, have quantized angular momentum, meaning it can only exist in discrete amounts.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the angular velocity is opposite to the direction of the radius of rotation, resulting in a negative value for angular momentum.