Which C++ Compiler Is Preferred?

In summary, the conversation discusses different C++ compilers and their preferences for developing Windows applications. Some of the options mentioned include Borland's C++ builder, MinGW, Microsoft's Visual C++ compiler, Dev-C++, and Open Watcom. Participants in the conversation also share their personal experiences with Dev-C++ and suggest contributing to its development if the user has knowledge of Delphi.
aychamo
Hey guys!

Which C++ compiler do you prefer? Do you like Borland's C++ builder? What is the Borland C++X? The X means something?

Technology news on Phys.org
I use gcc. You can find it for nearly every platform and it works great.

Err, I meant for developing windows apps :) I'm sorry to not be more clear.

Try Dev-C++, it uses GCC. But there's also visual-mingw IDE which uses gcc. Mingw is gcc for windows (basically).

You could also try cygwin for a more unix type environment.

Also, if you want managed c++ you could try out microsoft's free .net framework.

try the open watcon compiler...couple of quirks, but otherwise ok...

Like Goalie_Ca stated, I'd give Dev-C++ a look. I decided to try it a few months back and haven't let go of it since. The developers of Dev-C++ do a great job of fixing bugs very quickly and they update the software regularly.

I've been using dev-c++ for around 4 years now i guess. It's a pretty solid IDE, if you know delphi you should help contribute.

I am also using DevC++ and I also find it is a good one...(smile)

1. What is a C++ compiler?

A C++ compiler is a computer program that translates the source code written in the C++ programming language into machine code, which can be understood and executed by the computer's processor.

2. Why is it important to choose the right C++ compiler?

Choosing the right C++ compiler is important because it can affect the performance and compatibility of your code. Different compilers may have different features and optimizations that can impact the execution speed and memory usage of your program.

3. What are some popular C++ compilers?

Some popular C++ compilers include GCC, Clang, Visual C++, and Intel C++ Compiler. Each of these compilers has its own strengths and features, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your needs.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a C++ compiler?

Some factors to consider when choosing a C++ compiler include the platform you are developing for, the features and optimizations offered by the compiler, the level of support and community behind the compiler, and any specific requirements for your project.

5. Can I use multiple C++ compilers for my project?

Yes, you can use multiple C++ compilers for your project. This can be useful for testing and ensuring compatibility across different compilers and platforms. However, it's important to ensure that all the compilers you use support the same C++ standards to avoid any compatibility issues.