Boiling 2 Eggs: How Long Will It Take?

• Thread starter quZz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boiling
In summary: However, boiling more than 2 will increase the time by a few minutes.I boiled 42 eggs once. I can't tell what happened - copyright issues, mostly.
quZz
If it takes 10 min to hard boil 1 egg, how long will it take to boil 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
10 minutes.

why?

Why not?

Well, first of all, I think when you have two eggs you need less volume of water to cover them (if you boil them in a cup) =) so the water will get heated faster. On the other hand transformation from an ordinary egg to hard-boiled egg is some kind of phase transition, so I guess it will take energy, and two eggs will take two times more energy than one.

So what would your answer be if I asked how long will it take to boil 100 eggs?

10 minutes and a bigger pot.

:rofl:

How much does the second egg lower the temperature of the water?

Does it not take more energy to heat two eggs rather than one egg? I always thought a larger egg will take more energy to heat the internal temperature than a smaller egg. Similarly, a larger pot of water should take more energy to raise to the same temperature, shouldn't it? :\

KartikAddanki said:
Does it not take more energy to heat two eggs rather than one egg? I always thought a larger egg will take more energy to heat the internal temperature than a smaller egg. Similarly, a larger pot of water should take more energy to raise to the same temperature, shouldn't it? :\

Sure. But that wasn't the original poster's (OP's) question. That's why we're playing with them a bit.

Despite the loss of W, I'm very happy to be back in my own house because it has a gas stove. The one in our apartment is electric. I hate those things.
I have the recipe for the absolutely perfect boiled egg, using a gas stove. I cook 3 at a time, because that's all that my little pot will hold. Add some salt, to cauterize any cracks, fill the pot to covering the eggs by a cm or so with the hottest water from the tap. Put it on max flame until it starts to boil, then turn the burner to the lowest possible flame, pop on a lid, and simmer for exactly 7 1/2 minutes. Then quench in cold water. Perfect.

Danger said:
I cook 3 at a time...

...simmer for exactly 7 1/2 minutes.
Excellent. Now we have empirical data.
One egg takes 11 minutes.
Three eggs take 7 1/2 minutes.

Therefore 2 eggs take exactly 9 minutes 15 seconds.

QED.

Sometimes I truly wonder about you, Dave. :biggrin:

quZz said:
If it takes 10 min to hard boil 1 egg, how long will it take to boil 2?
Put one egg in a pan of water and put them on a burner. Put the other egg in a second pan of water and put it on a second burner. Turn them both on. Ifr it takes 10 min to hard boil 1 egg, it will take 10 min to hard boil 2 eggs (or 3 eggs up to however many burners you have on your stove!

If that was not what you meant, then ask an intelligible question!

I don't suppose it really matters how many eggs you put in the pot. If I remember correctly, water maintains a constant temperature while boiling, so as long as the water is boiling, all of the eggs should be getting the same amount of heat. Adding eggs may make it so that it requires more energy to keep the water boiling, but as long as it is boiling, it will take ten minutes regardless.

Danger said:
Sometimes I truly wonder about you, Dave. :biggrin:

Then you'll really start to wonder when I tell you how long it takes to boil 8 eggs... :tongue2:

DaveC426913 said:
Then you'll really start to wonder when I tell you how long it takes to boil 8 eggs... :tongue2:
I boiled 42 eggs once. I can't tell what happened - copyright issues, mostly.

turbo-1 said:
I boiled 42 eggs once. I can't tell what happened - copyright issues, mostly.

Does it involve boiling water, or did you just paint them with your salsa?

Shai-Hulud said:
I don't suppose it really matters how many eggs you put in the pot. If I remember correctly, water maintains a constant temperature while boiling, so as long as the water is boiling, all of the eggs should be getting the same amount of heat. Adding eggs may make it so that it requires more energy to keep the water boiling, but as long as it is boiling, it will take ten minutes regardless.

I can't believe I forgot that. Thanks for answering my personal question.

It seems we need much more time to discuss egg boiling than to boil eggs itself.
Acccording to me, boiling 1 or 2 eggs can be very close, say 7 min if you start from boiling water. If you start from ambient temp, boiling 2 can be a little bit longer say 5 and 6 min.
That's because the outer shell of an egg conducts heat very badly when it is boiled.
When you start at 100 oC (put in the egg when water boils), the outer shell (not the yolk) is boiled and hardened so the yolk is almost insulted and you lose most of the heat from the stove, only small percentage is used for cooking the eggs. So 1 or 2 eggs make almost no difference.
If you start at ambient, the egg outer shell can still conduct heat much better than when it is cooked, so 1 or 2 eggs can be different in time.
If the pot is very big compared to the egg, the difference is negligible
I have no experience of boiling more than 3 eggs

pixel01 said:
...When you start at 100 oC (put in the egg when water boils), the outer shell (not the yolk) is boiled and hardened so the yolk is almost insulted and you lose most of the heat from the stove...

I have no experience of boiling more than 3 eggs
That's OK. I have no experience insulting yolks. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
I have no experience insulting yolks. :wink:

********! You've made plenty of insulting yolks in GD. I must admit that they were pretty funny.

Also depends on you fast your are going.

DaveC426913 said:

Trick question! You only had a half-dozen left in the refrigerator when you started...

DaveC426913 said:
That's OK. I have no experience insulting yolks. :wink:

Sorry, it's a typo. I meant to insulate :blushing:

1. How long does it take to boil 2 eggs?

The average time it takes to boil 2 eggs is about 10-12 minutes.

2. Should I use cold or hot water to boil the eggs?

It is recommended to start with cold water in the pot and then bring it to a boil. This helps prevent the eggs from cracking.

3. Do I need to add salt to the water when boiling eggs?

It is not necessary to add salt to the water when boiling eggs, but some people believe it helps make the shells easier to peel.

4. How do I know if the eggs are done boiling?

You can check if the eggs are done boiling by using a slotted spoon to remove one from the water and gently tapping it on a hard surface. If it feels firm, it is likely done. Alternatively, you can use a timer for the recommended cooking time.

5. Can I boil more than 2 eggs at a time?

Yes, you can boil as many eggs as will fit in your pot as long as they are in a single layer. However, the cooking time may need to be adjusted depending on the number of eggs being boiled.