Frame/Machines- Statics Question

• Thread starter megr_ftw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, a floor jack is used to support a 2000 lbf load and we need to calculate the pressure exerted on the hydraulic fluid by the piston H. Using the formula for pressure, we can determine that the pressure exerted is 637.5 lbf/in^2. We can also create a free body diagram to visualize the forces and area involved.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

A floor jack is used to support a 2000 lbf load. Calculate the pressure exerted on the hydraulic fluid by the piston H if the piston has a diameter of 2 in. SHOW ALL WORK AND FBDs. Note: CDE is a solid, continuous member.
*I attached the diagram****

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure if there are any 2 force members. I really just need to know where to start because there are a lot of members in this problem. Do i need a FBD for all of them?
thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 727
Physics news on Phys.org
for the help.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you with solving this problem. To start, let's break down the problem into smaller steps and focus on the key components.

First, we need to determine the force exerted by the 2000 lbf load on the piston H. This can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, we can assume that the acceleration is 0 since the load is not moving, so the force exerted is simply 2000 lbf.

Next, we need to consider the pressure exerted on the hydraulic fluid by the piston. Pressure is defined as force per unit area, so we need to calculate the area of the piston to determine the pressure. The formula for area of a circle is A=πr^2, where r is the radius. In this case, the diameter of the piston is given as 2 inches, so the radius is 1 inch. Thus, the area of the piston is π(1 in)^2 = π in^2.

Now, we can use the formula for pressure, P=F/A, to calculate the pressure exerted by the piston. Plugging in our values, we get P=2000 lbf / π in^2 = 637.5 lbf/in^2. This is the pressure exerted on the hydraulic fluid by the piston H.

To show this visually, we can create a free body diagram (FBD) for the piston H. The FBD will include the force exerted by the 2000 lbf load, as well as the reaction force from the hydraulic fluid pushing back on the piston. The FBD will also show the area of the piston, which we have already calculated.

I have attached a diagram to help explain this solution. I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps.
Scientist

I would first start by identifying the main components of the problem and drawing a free body diagram for each one. In this case, the main components are the floor jack, the 2000 lbf load, and the hydraulic piston.

For the floor jack, the forces acting on it are the reaction forces from the ground and the force from the hydraulic piston pushing down. The free body diagram for the floor jack would show these forces acting on it.

For the 2000 lbf load, the only force acting on it would be its weight, which can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

For the hydraulic piston, the forces acting on it are the pressure from the hydraulic fluid and the reaction force from the load. The free body diagram for the piston would show these forces acting on it.

To solve for the pressure exerted on the hydraulic fluid, we can use the equation P=F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. In this case, the force is the reaction force from the load, which can be calculated using F=ma, and the area is the cross-sectional area of the piston, which is given as 2 in. We would need to convert this to square inches (in^2) to use in the equation.

Once we have all the necessary information from the free body diagrams and equations, we can plug them in and solve for the pressure exerted on the hydraulic fluid by the piston H. It is important to show all the work and calculations to ensure accuracy and understanding of the problem.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller components, drawing free body diagrams for each one, and using relevant equations to solve for the desired quantity.

What is the difference between a frame and a machine in the context of statics?

A frame is a rigid structure composed of connected parts that is used to support loads and resist forces. A machine, on the other hand, utilizes energy to perform a specific task. In the context of statics, the main difference is that a frame is primarily used to support loads and maintain stability, while a machine is used to transform and transmit forces to accomplish a desired task.

What are the basic principles of statics that apply to frames and machines?

The basic principles of statics that apply to frames and machines include equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on a body must be equal to zero in order for it to be in a state of rest or constant motion. Additionally, the principles of moments and free body diagrams are also important in analyzing the forces and moments acting on a frame or machine.

How can I calculate the reactions at supports for a frame or machine?

The reactions at supports can be calculated using the equations of equilibrium. For a frame, this involves summing all the horizontal and vertical forces as well as the moments about a specific point. For a machine, the equations of equilibrium apply to both the forces and moments in order to determine the reactions at the supports.

What are some common types of frames and machines used in engineering?

Some common types of frames include trusses, which are composed of connected triangles and are used to support large loads, and beams, which are horizontal or vertical structural elements that resist bending and shear forces. Common types of machines include levers, pulleys, and gears, which are used to transmit and transform forces in various applications.

How do I analyze the stability of a frame or machine?

The stability of a frame or machine can be analyzed by considering the distribution of forces and moments acting on it. If the sum of all forces and moments is equal to zero, the frame or machine is in a state of static equilibrium and is considered stable. Additionally, the center of mass and the base of support also play a role in determining stability.