Are there any recommended textbooks for learning absorption spectroscopy?

MikeyIn summary, Mikey is looking for textbooks and other materials to help him learn about absorption spectroscopy of gases, specifically in the context of spectroscopy fundamentals. He is open to both undergraduate and advanced sources, as well as review articles, to gain a solid understanding of the subject. He is particularly interested in understanding the formation of spectral features, the meaning of harmonics, and how different thermodynamic conditions affect them.
mikeph
Hello

I am looking for a few textbooks to digest, I am learning the fundamentals of spectroscopy, in particular absorption spectroscopy of gases. Are there any great textbooks out there on these subjects? I feel I need a more solid grounding.

Any undergrad would be welcome, as would any more advanced books on the particulars of absorption spectroscopy.

Regards,

Mikey

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact any review articles or anything really would be helpful, I can print it off and go through it that way. Just need a bunch of material to read on this subject. For example why certain spectral features form, what the harmonics of these mean, how they are affected by different thermodynamic conditions,

Regards,

I can recommend a few textbooks that may be helpful in learning about absorption spectroscopy. For a basic understanding of the fundamentals, I would suggest "Introduction to Spectroscopy" by Donald L. Pavia, Gary M. Lampman, George S. Kriz, and James R. Vyvyan. This textbook covers a wide range of spectroscopic techniques, including absorption spectroscopy, and is suitable for undergraduate students.

For a more advanced understanding, I would recommend "Spectroscopy: Principles and Applications" by E. R. Andrew, P. J. Haines, and D. A. Jennings. This book delves deeper into the theory and applications of spectroscopy, including absorption spectroscopy of gases.

Other recommended textbooks include "Molecular Spectroscopy" by John M. Brown and "Spectroscopy in Inorganic Chemistry" by Jonathan A. Iggo. Both of these books cover absorption spectroscopy in detail and are suitable for undergraduate and graduate students.

I hope these recommendations help in your learning journey. It is always beneficial to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals before diving into more advanced topics. Happy reading!

What is absorption spectroscopy?

Absorption spectroscopy is a type of analytical technique used to identify and quantify the chemical composition of a sample. It involves measuring the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths, which can provide information about the types of molecules present and their concentrations.

How does absorption spectroscopy work?

In absorption spectroscopy, a sample is exposed to a range of wavelengths of light, typically in the ultraviolet, visible, or infrared regions. The sample absorbs some of the light, while the rest is transmitted through. The amount of light absorbed is then measured and compared to a reference sample to determine the concentration of the absorbing substance.

What types of samples can be analyzed using absorption spectroscopy?

Absorption spectroscopy can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, gases, and solids. It is commonly used in the fields of chemistry, physics, biology, and environmental science to study the composition of various substances.

What are the advantages of using absorption spectroscopy?

Absorption spectroscopy is a relatively simple and non-destructive technique that can provide valuable information about the chemical composition of a sample. It is also highly sensitive, allowing for the detection of even small concentrations of substances. Additionally, it can be used to analyze samples in real-time, making it a useful tool for process monitoring and control.

What are some common applications of absorption spectroscopy?

Absorption spectroscopy has a wide range of applications, including environmental monitoring, drug development, food and beverage analysis, and forensic science. It is also commonly used in industrial processes to monitor and control chemical reactions and to ensure the quality of various products.