Design 1T Solenoidal Electromagnet w/ Core Permeability>1000

In summary, the permeability saturates at some field strength(0.2T?). But I am not sure how to use the formula after saturation. Should I just use u0 instead of u0ur?
likephysics
I was trying to get the numbers to design a 1T solenoidal electromagnet with a core of permeability >1000 (electric steel or Permalloy). I think the permeability saturates at some field strength(0.2T?). But I am not sure how to use the formula after saturation. should I just use u0 instead of u0ur?
How exactly is the field strength measured? Say for a solenoid and a button type permanent magnet. At what distance from the surface?
I am using the formula B=u0ur*n*I

Physics news on Phys.org
Here in thumbnail is the permeability curve for soft iron. 300 amp-turns per meter should push soft iron above 1 Tesla inside a long solenoid. The equation for the field inside a finite length solenoid is given in Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" 3rd edition page 297.

Bob S

Attachments

• Iron_permeability3.jpg
    Iron_permeability3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 980
Bobs, thanks. That makes sense. I just need to grab the static and dynamic electricity book.

Smythe's exact solution for the on-axis B field in a finite-length solenoid is posted in the thumbnail.

Bob S

Attachments

• Solenoid_Smythe_soln.jpg
    Solenoid_Smythe_soln.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,326
Thanks. Any idea how you measure the field of a permanent magnet?
I bought one of those neodymium magnets. They are supposed to be 1T. But I am not sure how to measure the field.

I have used three ways. All are difficult.
1) Integrating coil. Wrap 100-200 turns of #40 wire into a coil with ID the same as the magnet OD. Count # turns. Build an integrating circuit with about 1 minute time constant. R series = 100 k, C feedback= 600 uF. Put a 10 meg bleed resistor in parallel with C. choose a low bias current, low voltage offset op amp.
2) Use a Hall Effect Sensor. Make good differential amplifier op amp to amplify signal. Calibration accuracy of sensor is only about +/- 20%
3) Proton resonance NMR. very accurate. Very difficult to set up.
Bob S.

Proton NMR seems intriguing.
I tried (2), my hall effect sensor (from allegro) saturated at 0.4T when the sensor was close to the magnet (~2 inches). I know mag field drops as u go away from the magnet, but I don't know the relationship(1/r^2?).

likephysics said:
Proton NMR seems intriguing.
I tried (2), my hall effect sensor (from allegro) saturated at 0.4T when the sensor was close to the magnet (~2 inches). I know mag field drops as u go away from the magnet, but I don't know the relationship(1/r^2?).
I am aware that the Allegro units saturate. I attach an Analog Devices datasheet that may not saturate, IF the offset adjustment allows for extending the linear range. The surface mount package is difficult to mount, however.
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD22151.pdf
Proton magnetic resonance is difficult in inhomogeneous fields because it requires very small NMR samples, of the order of 1 mm cubed. You also need a grid-dip equivalent circuit (do you remember grid-dip resonance detecting circuits?) to detect resonance.
Bob S
[added] Here is a site that calculates axial field densities for any size cylindrical neodymium magnet.
http://www.magnetsales.com/Design/Calc_filles/FluxVsDistance-Disc.asp
Here is another calculator:
http://www.arnoldmagnetics.com/mtc/calc_gauss_cyl.htm
Here is a third site:
http://www.dextermag.com/Calculation.aspx?mode=input&id=FieldCalcCylinder
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
The two attached thumbnail drawings outline a voltage integrator circuit for measuring magnetic fields using the Faraday induction law.
Bob S

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 694
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 672

What is a solenoidal electromagnet?

A solenoidal electromagnet is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field which is concentrated within the core.

How is the core permeability of a solenoidal electromagnet measured?

The core permeability of a solenoidal electromagnet is measured by calculating the ratio of the magnetic flux density to the magnetic field strength within the core. This can be done experimentally using a device called a permeameter, or it can be calculated using the material properties of the core.

What does a core permeability of over 1000 mean for the design of a solenoidal electromagnet?

A core permeability of over 1000 means that the core material has a high ability to concentrate magnetic flux, making it ideal for use in a solenoidal electromagnet. This allows for a stronger magnetic field to be generated for a given amount of current passing through the coil.

What factors should be considered when designing a solenoidal electromagnet with a core permeability of over 1000?

When designing a solenoidal electromagnet with a core permeability of over 1000, factors such as the desired strength of the magnetic field, the desired size and shape of the electromagnet, and the available power source should be considered. It is also important to choose a core material with a high permeability that is suitable for the intended application.

What are some common applications of solenoidal electromagnets with a core permeability of over 1000?

Solenoidal electromagnets with a core permeability of over 1000 are commonly used in a variety of applications, including particle accelerators, MRI machines, and magnetic separation processes. They are also used in industrial and scientific research settings for tasks such as magnetizing materials and testing the properties of magnets.